Friday, November 24, 2017

Things for which I am not grateful

I've gone back and forth about posting this entry. There's nothing wrong with it. I'm just feeling tentative, which is quite a departure from the usual. I have some pretty funny photos of the dogs I thought I'd share instead, but this kept surfacing. So, I'll post a significantly-edited rendition. You can always ignore it. That's the beauty of Internet. You can ignore at will. 

....This time of year, Facebook is oozing with gratitude. Memes, quotes, profession of thanks, family photos, blessings and pictures of food. From our house to yours, from Jesus to the Universe. Gratitude everywhere. For shits and giggles, I wanted to list things for which I am not grateful. I know you're supposed to focus on things you want, not stuff you don't want--it's about the positive, not the negative. I thought I'd be an ass and spit on all those positive memes and sappy posts....

Problem was, every time I tried to list things for which I'm not grateful, it was followed by thoughts of how supposedly "negative things" lead to positive things, action and gratitude.

Damn negatives, looking all positive. 

I assumed Asswipe #45, morons with tiki torches and obscenely-rich white men dedicated to oppressing/screwing/shitting on everyone except for themselves would be easy "no-gratitude-from me" targets. (Seriously, who carries tiki torches and wears khaki pants when trying to prove their superiority?) Yet, such buffoonery, ignorance and fear has led to more women getting involved in politics. It's sparked people to become civilly involved, to stand up and speak their truth. It's led to people talking about topics of which they've not spoken before.There is more action, less sideline. Less complacency, more awareness. Survivors are looking perpetrators in the eye and saying NO MORE. People are realizing how much they took for granted, assuming everything will still be "there" for them without effort. Heck, tiki torch manufacturers had a record year.

Sometimes it takes something pretty big to spark a movement. We've got a whole fireworks show going on. How can I not be grateful for that?

Dang. If I can't even muster up a giant, slimy ball of ingrate for 45, my attempt to be ungrateful is a complete failure. And, for that I am grateful, too.

So, I thank 45 and the fear-driven for reminding me that I have the power to make a difference. I am glad I can stand for what is right and good and moral and compassionate. I am grateful to find my kindred spirits. I am delighted for all the good and beautiful and sacred in the world. I am thankful I can be bold and strong and fierce.

I celebrate the fact that I don't have to wear white polos and khaki pants because I am afraid.

I am grateful I am not not grateful. 

I hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving, whatever that means to you. Perhaps it's the kind that requires you to unbutton your pants because they are too tight after dinner. Maybe it's the kind that leads to sharing the table with those you love. Perhaps it's football or shopping or walking or solitude or napping or eating something other than turkey. Maybe it's a good shift while working on the holiday or holiday pay or making a difference for those who weren't having a fabulous Thanksgiving. However you define fabulous, I hope you found it.

And, so I don't end up being too serious....

This Thanksgiving, I say to you: May you live long and prosper. Unless you own a cat. Then, may you live long and prospurr.

Gobble Gobble.




No comments:

Post a Comment