Saturday, July 15, 2017

Spring Freshed Four Legged Pests

Somewhere along the way, I read that using Irish Spring keeps bunnies and chipmunks and other ridiculous friends of Mother Nature out of the garden. I'm pretty sick of our hostas looking like shredded grass trimmings. I'm irritated that plants have been mowed down to the ground by voracious lagomorphs. Don't even get me started on the damage the chipmunks are doing.

I went to the store and bought a multi-pack of the pungent Irish soap. I cut the soap into pieces, as directed on gardening websites. I placed the chunks around the "test plants." I went back into the house and watched.

Watched what? I watched bunnies ignore the Irish Spring and continue their mowing down of the hostas and I enjoyed Chipmunks moving the soap out of the way so they could continue their destruction of all things cherished. I don't know what I did "wrong" but the soap did not work. 

At least our yard smells fresh and pretty.

While lamenting the feasting of the critters, I've been busy cruising pet adoption sites, looking for the perfect dog. Yes, a dog. I figure if we are going to get a dog, now is the time. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent looking at dog photos and reading descriptions. My eyes were red and blurry from one too many extended internet searches. To help narrow things down, I chose a "within 100 miles rescue group" that I thought had the "best matching to my criteria" dogs and focused on them. I found what I thought would be a great match for our household. They had a selection of most wonderful pups (placed in foster homes) and all were within 75 miles. I found what appeared to be the most perfect dog and even gave him a name of which to bestow. I filled out adoption application and paid the meager required fee. Then, the emailing back and forth began.

I had NO idea adopting a dog might be this difficult. I had NO idea I could be so wrong about picking a rescue group. By the time the czarina of the group finished chewing me up and spitting me out, I no longer wanted a dog. She was rude, condescending and just plain awful. At first, I thought I was being sensitive, so I asked the wife to read the email. The wife thought determined the lady was a bitch, so it wasn't me. (The wife never says anyone is a bitch, so that scared me a wee bit.) I have since did an internet search on the lady and it appears she doesn't exactly have a fan club. "Rude" and "condescending" were the two most utilized words when describing her demeanor. (Note to self: do much research BEFORE choosing a rescue.) I felt much better after reading the reviews. If I were her, I'd consider a whole lot of therapy and a whole lot let emails.

My favorite part? She indicated I would need to consider an "older" dog.... because, well... I am older. Bluntly: I am too old for a 1 year old dog. 

Geez, it's not like I'm on the brink of death. Whoever said age is just a number never tried to adopt a dog from this lady. 

Lady, I'm a pretty spry fifty five. I'm not using a walker and feeble and won't even remember I own a dog. She seemed mighty concerned that a 17 pound dog would be too big and that the dog had too long of legs for me. Um, what? I assured her, via email, that our last shih tzu mix weighed 17 pounds and that she too had long legs. 

Do you know what a weird email conversation it is to argue about the length of dog legs for a 17 pound dog?

Those of you who know me know that our dogs are treated as good or better than most kids. You know I love my dogs with reckless abandon. The emails didn't get any better. Finally, the wife said ENOUGH. She was right. If were really are going to adopt a dog, it won't be through this rescue. 

Maybe she did a secret home visit to our house and smelled all the Irish Spring and was afraid we would poison a dog in our feebleness. 

I'm not sure my dog search will continue. Perhaps it is not meant to be. Perhaps the perfect pup will come along when we're not looking and we'll have a canine four legged friend again. Perhaps I'll just volunteer at the local animal shelter and get a dog fix that way. Time will tell. 

A pet with us is provided the best food, great care, lots of walks, oodles of love. I know we would provide a great home for a new pooch. Although I don't know if we will get a dog, I do know that this lady will not be doing a home visit or telling me I am too old for a 1 year old dog or helping us adopt a rescue from her group. I apologize to the pups under her care. I know she wants the best for them but she really shouldn't judge a potential adopter by a number or dog leg length. 

Hey, do you think an Irish Setter would work better than Irish Spring? Maybe I've been this wrong the whole time.... 

Watch out, bunnies and chipmunks. I may be on to something here....

No comments:

Post a Comment