Friday, July 21, 2017

Eight Paws

Update on the "Irish Spring Keeps Critters Out of the Yard" saga: The bunnies couldn't care less about the soap; in fact, last night one of the bunnies was STANDING ON the soap. So much for deterring the destruction.

In a lapse of judgment or in a stroke of genius, we have adopted two dogs who will be arriving from Texas in mid-August. Two mighty mutts, their breeds are unknown and their tales most likely unfathomable.

They are rescue pups from the southern US border, which begs the question: would they even be here if there had been a wall across the border? Which leads me to another question: What if they don't speak English? And finally: what if, as "45" has suggested, a drug lord threw a 60 lb. bag of drugs over the fence and it had fallen on the pups?

Never mind. Let's focus on how it took me a year and a half to consider getting another dog. I mean, how could we do any better than Freckles and Lucy? What joy they brought-what love they gave! And honestly--during the past 18 months, I've appreciated the freedom of not having to worry about being home within five hours (the window between potty breaks), not fretting when it's storming while I'm at work and it's been glorious without having to get up at 2 AM to let Freckles out. My official pros and cons list about getting a new dog was completely balanced, 50/50....

Then came Tracy's Dogs.

I knew we wanted to rescue a dog if we ever did decide to get a dog. I told the Universe this was my "final answer," giving a rescue one shot in the dark. Thanks to a good friend, I learned of the Texas-based Tracy's Dogs. After watching videos, reading posts and pursuing information, I submitted an application and then let it go.

If you haven't seen their website or looked at their videos, you have no idea what you're missing. Check it out. www.tracysdogs.com

I had no expectation of being chosen. I mean, this place gets tons of applications and after frustration with a few local rescues, I figured I wouldn't be chosen. So, I put the entire thing in the Universe's hands and went on with my life...

....for twenty four hours.

Yes, within a day, Tracy's Dogs called my references, my vet and then me.

I cannot convey to you how shocked I was when the Adoption Manager called. She was so nice. What a great conversation. We went on for days. When asked about the perfect dog, I provided a description that the wife had given me: under 20 pounds, young but not a puppy, non-shedding, female and with no awful medical issues. Bonus points if the dog has two eyes. While interviewing me, she paused (no pun intended) and then asked, "would you consider a smaller dog?"

I hadn't anticipated that, either. So, now I'm being interviewed AND I'm being asked if I would consider a smaller dog. Could this get any better? The Universe was out of control.

Yes. Yes, it could. The dog she envisioned was a small white female, something like a poodle or other non-shedding type pup. Eight pounds of fluff, to be exact.  Perhaps two or three years old. If I had to pick something for the wife, this would be it. By the end of the conversation, we were approved for adoption (she had already talked to our references and vet) and we were put in touch with the foster mom.

The call to the foster mom went swimmingly. She too was ridiculously nice, talkative and candid. Foster mama had lots to say, which helped paint a picture of the pup in question.

Then, the Universe took a turn of yet another thing I hadn't seen coming: the little white dog had completely bonded with a scruffy brownish street dog and they had been inseparable since being picked up together at a high kill shelter. They share a bone at the same time, they eat out of the same dish, they sleep in the same bed. My brain started to hurt, as this was quickly morphing into a two-for-one scenario.

I knew there was no way I could separate them. None. Zero. Zilch. If I wanted the white ball of fluff, the scrappy brown dog would have to be in tow. I dreaded telling the wife this. It was hard enough for her to consider having a dog again. Having to consider TWO dogs might push her over the edge.

The dogs had yet to be posted on the website, so for the next 24 hours we didn't have to worry about their availability status changing But, we knew that they would then be placed on the page and all bets were off.

I didn't know what to do. After talking to the wife by phone, she said I should come home and we could talk about it, make a decision. I warned her I was all in.

I guess she was all in, too as on the counter were two little dog baskets, two dog food containers and two squeaky toys. I contacted the Adoption Manager and secured our new little furry friends. They are now officially ours. Paid in full, posted as adopted.

We have until August 19th to get our acts together, to sleep as much as possible and to stay out longer than seven hours at a time. We probably should just stay out all the time so we don't mind staying home more often once the pups arrive.

I know the dogs' first weeks in our home has potential to being a disaster--after all, the two pups will have traveled on a truck from Texas with 60 other dogs after having endured some pretty tough times. I know having another new home will be overwhelming. I know they will come with lots of baggage. But, I know the Universe, Freckles and Lucy wouldn't steer us wrong, and so that first week might be just fine. I think I'll thank the Universe right now for the great transition from homeless to winning the lottery.

I think we've all won the lottery. 

Stay tuned for names, photos and general information.

Perhaps the eight paws will work better at deterring the bunnies, chipmunks and squirrels better than Irish Spring. I look forward to finding out.....

************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment