Saturday, July 29, 2017

T-minus Three Weeks to Eight Paws

The countdown to the new pet arrive continues. Three weeks from now, we will have eight paws running around the house. Or, at least peeing in various parts of our house.

This may be the longest three weeks of my life.

Foster Mom sends a text or photo now and again, which is helpful during this preparation stage... although I don't know if it's always helpful to see photos of something that is three weeks away. I've thought about getting in my car and driving to San Antonio to pick them up early but that's a long drive from the northernmost corner of Illinois and it takes away the fun of the unveiling on August 19th.

The wife is on a dog-themed spending spree. For someone who was tentative about dogs, she sure is buying a whole bunch of nice dog things. Yesterday, a "multi-purpose" 186-inch long pet gate arrived via Brown Truck. This is the Cadillac model of gates, complete with wood finish that matches our trim, metal slats that are small enough to keep the tiny pups from sneaking out and tall enough that even we can't step over it. We could probably surround the entire house with that thing. It folds into six delicious pieces so technically it could be moved wherever we want or need. I better behave or the wife will surround ME with it.

There are brand new water bowls, food bowls, food mats, fancy dog bed, dog food storage containers, treat jar and a few squeaky toys.  Another bed is sure to be secured next. She can't buy leashes or fancy collars yet as she really don't know what an 8 lb dog looks like. A few cheap-will-have-to-do-on-Gotcha Day were secured but these are only for temporary measures, I am sure.

The only thing I've purchased yet are two Kongs and the actual dogs. I best get shopping.

Naming dogs of which you have never met is difficult. We've gone round and round about names, trying out different names as we walk around the block with our invisible yet-to-arrive dogs. Since the pups are from the border of Texas/Mexico, we've been considering Spanish-themed names. I'm pretty set on a name for the brown dog and the wife seems to have settled on at least part of a name for the white dog. My biggest concern is that we don't want to end up sounding politically incorrect when naming the dogs. I know that's weird but some of the names give me paws-pause.

Perhaps I should ask someone of Mexican descent if we are being ridiculous, racist, insulting or just plain ignorant.

In the spirit of friendship and as it is apt, we are going to refer to the two of them as "Dos Marias." I think it will be great fun to yell, "Dos Marias!" when calling them to dinner or to go for a ride in the car or when looking for them when lost behind the great fence. (We have dear friends of which are "Dos Marias." We honor them with use of this name for calling our dogs to dinner.)

Staying with the theme, I am considering if we should do all commands in Spanish. That means I'll have to teach the wife Spanish but she can learn a few commands. I'll have to brush up on my Espanol lest I shout out things of which should not be shouted.

T-minus three weeks. We can do it!

I assume you are curious about the name I'm considering for brown dog. I shall tell you but it is subject to change at any time before (and potentially after) the Gotch Day. I am open to suggestions but make no promises I'll listen. El perro (or is it la perra? Does spanish recognize the difference between boy and girl dogs or are they all perros? Time to take that refresher course...) shall be named Senorita Maritza Bandido.

Has a great ring to it, don't you think? I will some day explain my name choice but for today that is enough. As long as it doesn't end up being offensive in any capacity, I put the odds of this name making the cut about 2:1.

T-minus three weeks to Eight Paws. Un montón de tiempo para retocar en mi español y para la esposa a gastar más dinero.

Don't be fooled. Google Translate wrote that sentence. I'm pretty much at making names and yelling out a few commands point of Spanish. Here's to electronic translation and lots of practice. Or, I should say, "Aquí hay traducción electrónica y mucha práctica."

Senorita Maritza Bandido. I like it more and more each time I say it. Make those odds 75% chance of making the cut.....

No comments:

Post a Comment