Monday, January 16, 2017

Orange March

Oh my goodness, I almost forget about you! I've been busy designing power points for my new very-part time gig as....

...a professor!

Yes, you can now me Professor Addi WP. I've dreamed of this day and now it is here. I'm super-excited about my debut next week. Please pray to the Gods of Higher Education that all goes well as I try out this new adventure.

Today, a rainy-icy-yucky Monday, I asked a co-work how he was doing. Usually, you'd expect a, "I'm fine" kind of answer. Well, not today. He looked at me, brows furled, and said, "I'm dreading Friday."

This gave me pause. Friday? I'm working on Monday and he's already at the end of the week. I inquired what was going on Friday that had him distracted.

"The Inauguration!" he exclaimed.

I felt pretty embarrassed, not realizing that. Perhaps that sums up how I feel about the event. I've made it a non-event in the Addiverse. I won't be watching TV. I won't be perusing social media. I'll be busy doing happy things like scrubbing the dead skin off my heels.

After apologizing for not realizing the inauguration was on Friday, I told him I wouldn't be watching that debacle. We had a little chit chat about what is going on in our corner of the world and then went on our merry ways. (This is the poor guy who put a sign on his door the day after the election that indicated not to disturb him as he was experiencing "post election trauma disorder." He was understandably a hot mess as he is a very political guy and not exactly a supportive of the great orange one.) 

Besides my dead-skinned heels, I've been distracted by efforts to see the World Series trophy in person. I can scratch that off my bucket list, as I was able to do that last weekend. Yes, I had to stand outside in single digit weather for three hours and yes, I had to stand about two hours in a line inside before I was able to weasel my way to the trophy, but I made it. Got my eight seconds with the trophy. Got my picture with the trophy. Bam! Bucklet list success.

In addition, I've been distracted by professional football. I am almost mortified when typing that, as real life should probably trump (pun intended) football. Tell the wife that. She lives for the green and gold. Yesterday's game was very traumatic. I wasn't sure she was going to live--pacing, yelling, bending over, fretting.... thank goodness a last minute kick saved the day and the game. I think football is an awesome distraction. I'm not going to let some cheeto ruin my enjoyment.

Although Friday is "dead to me," I am looking forward to this weekend as I'm taking part in one of the "Women's March on Washington" satellite sites in a town nearer than D.C. It should be a pretty big gathering, so that will be inspiring and reassuring. I'm going with some wonderful young ladies, which will make the event all the more better. I'm super-excited for Three Hawk and Argo, as they are heading east and actually going to the march in Washington D.C. I can't wait to hear about their adventures.

The good thing about marching is that it is a way to take action. It's a much bigger call to action than my FB feed efforts to ensure only happy, positive, supportive, rallying posts now show up. I blocked all the haters. I have no time for the haters. Guess I got tired of being called a snowflake, a sore loser, a purveyor of participation awards. I'm sorry those people won't get to see my March photos. I'm sad they won't get a chance to write stupid things.

Oh wait--I'm not sad at all.

if they were still my friends, I would tell them I march for my cousin of Mexican descent. I march for my friends who are other than white. I march for all women, here and around the world. I march for equality, solidarity and love. I march to support reproductive rights and access to healthcare. I march because I have white priviledge and if I don't march, who will?


Well, I do love a good gathering of wild women. That's a great reason to march. It's been a decade or more since I did something of this nature. Bring on the wild women!

You probably won't hear from me before the Friday event of which I won't be watching, so if you are planning to watch it, god love ya and good luck. Life is short. Friday will bring me ice cream, free time with the wife, talk of the Packers, thoughs of all positive. And yes, I will scrub my heels. I wouldn't kid about something serious like that. I think my Friday is going to be just fine, thank you very much.

I've got a few chin hairs that need attention. I think that's a perfect distraction for Friday and a great way to prepare for the march. I gotta look good. What if I'm the nightly national news?

For the record, I will not be wearing the color Orange. Just saying.

As for the wife, she'll be at home. She's not marching nor will she be wearing orange. She'll be busy praying to the football gods. In her honor, I say, Go Pack, Go. A Packer win will cure anything that ails her, even a Friday inauguration. I know she will be with me in spirit but her actual being will be on the Internet, reviewing stats and watching soundbites.

Good luck Argo and Three Hawk. May your D.C. march be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment