Sunday, January 22, 2017

Bigly, Terrific, Yuuuuge Marches

Marches. Marches everywhere. Democracy in action. No matter your stance, you have to admit that the show of democracy on January 21, 2017 was impressive.

I was at one of the smaller "March on Washington" satellite marches--only 75,000 persons in Madison. I think that calling a 75,000 persons march says something--the events across the nation were huge. Jaw-droppingly huge.  Yuuuuge! This photo does no justice to the scene that stood before me. The crowd filled the street, store-front to store-front, as far as I could see in front of me and behind me. No pushing. No shoving. Nothing but calm. I loved that so many men were there. I appreciated the diversity. I honor those stood up for what is right.

In other words, "The marches were terrific. Beautiful, terrific marches. No one has bigger marches. We're making marches great again. Non-Marchers? Sad." 

It was very empowering to take part in such a positive, powerful, peaceful show of democracy. I'm sure those busy making America Great Again found the marches hateful, full of looting, fighting, burning, misguided and stupid. Nothing I saw suggested one iota of this.  There was lots of love, support, kindred spirits. Not one thing transpired that could be construed as anything buy peaceful demonstration.

I look forward to hearing stories from friends who attended other marches. We know people who were in Washington D.C., Colorado, Chicago and Vegas. I'm sure we know people who were in Boston and L.A. too, but I can't substantiate that claim yet. (And, I don't make things up, like other parties of which are now in houses of white.)

I suppose it's scary for the bullies to know that so many people can organize so quickly. I know PLENTY of people are making fun of the marches. Not only are they spreading lies (or, as the new administration says, "alternate facts"), they continue the now-sanctioned bullying: "Poor snowflakes, go home and be sore losers somewhere else. Get over it. You lost. We didn't act this way when your [insert horrible word of choice here] candidate won."  

Perhaps I'll start responding to those sad people with this meme. Perhaps that will help refresh their memories.

Who am I kidding? The alternative facts assure all of us that this didn't happen. I'm sure these signs and these protests were only the far left's effort to make the right look bad or racist or hateful.



"Alternative Fact Tweets" are sure to say, "Small marches. Embarrassing for the misguided" or something like that. Hope Mr. Orange doesn't use the word "honor" in his tweets, as he keeps misspelling it, using "honer" in at least ten tweets. So much for that yuuuuge I.Q. It must not include spelling.

I must remain positive. I must remember that our diversity is bigger than their hate. I won't apologize for the comments above but I'll do my best to go high while the others go low.

The weather was kind of sucky but that didn't dampen the spirits. Chicago had sunshine--we had fog, hazy drizzle and low-hanging clouds. It was the kind of weather that those of us who wear glasses hate--spitty rain plays havoc with glasses. I think it was 42 degrees, which really isn't bad, considering it's January. The only time I was even remotely cold was when were standing in mud. Thank god I had my hiking boots on. Those in gym shoes did not survive as well. This photo doesn't do justice to the magnitude of the mud, but you get the idea.

Some marches never got to the mud because there was no way they could even get close to the mud--they were "stuck" in the streets. I felt a wee bit bad for those in the way back, because technically they were supposed to be the "front" of the march. Everything got befuckled and thus the parade started from what was supposed to be the back. Since we were in the middle, it worked out for us, although I think we could have done without the mud.

There were some pretty funny signs at our march, some of which I would never share here--I have one or two scruples left. There were numerous women dressed as "lady parts," which certainly caught attention. I only saw one lady without her top on (which was mighty impressive, considering the weather in Madison during the march). Many signs focused on love, inclusion, diversity, women's rights. Of course, there were some not-so-flattering signs dedicated to our nation's "leader." I won't share those, either. But, I will chuckle when thinking of them.

To sum it up, I say to the believers of Alternative Facts: Bitches get shit done. You have been warned.



No comments:

Post a Comment