Sunday, December 11, 2016

Seven Day Sugar Shuffle

Day Seven. I've made it to Day Seven, unscathed. (If you don't know what I'm counting, read the previous blog first and then come back to this entry.)

I'm surprised and disappointed to say I don't feel any differently not eating sugar than when I am eating sugar. I was hoping for something--anything in the "how I feel" department. Perhaps an epiphany. Perhaps feeling so much better, with my face glowing and my soul soaring. Sorry to say, I'm no more or less energetic. I'm no better or worse in relation to clear thinking. I'm not pooping more or less. I have no more or less sinus headaches. My moods don't seem to fluctuate any less. It's all the same.....

....well, besides the blood-curdling craving I experience upon waking and right after dinner, but that is brain-washed habit-related, not a physical need. I still haven't gotten past the daily pattern. That takes time. It is suggested it takes 21 days to change a habit. Since I'm only aiming for 14 days, we may never know. I suppose I could carry this through the extra week, but I'm taking this one day at a time, so you'll just have to wait and see.

Here's a hint: Christmas falls in that third week, days 15-21. I'm NOT avoiding sugar on the holidays. I may be dumb but I'm not stupid.

I see why people gain weight when trying to quit smoking. I am destined to gain weight during these two weeks, as I find myself substituting the morning chocolate with other food products. My substitutions might be considered healthier options but the majority of choices have more calories than those small blobs of chocolate I soothe my soul with in the morning. More calories = more weight. What kind of madness is this? Am I the only person on the planet who can give up gluten and give up sugar and still gain weight? Sigh.

I did have one mishap during the first week. Honesty is the best policy, so here is my confession. Day Five found me at a local, most favorite fast food establishment. I thought it might be hard to go there as they have my favorite shakes and delicious gluten-free brownies. Since I was going with four other people, I figured my support team would keep me distracted. They kept me so distracted that I didn't notice until much later than I had eaten the little Andes mint the worker put on everyone's tray.

I am eating my meal, chatting and laughing all the way. I was doing fine without my shake and brownie. I'm enjoying the company. As I'm eating, I look down and see....

....AN EMPTY ANDES MINT WRAPPER!!!!!!

I cannot tell you when I ate it. It was so automatic--I ate it and didn't even notice. (Note to self: If you are going to fall off the wagon, pay attention and at least enjoy it.) I was mortified. MORTIFIED!

At first, I thought someone was playing a joke on me. But, everyone else still had their untouched mint on their trays. I was truly upset. As I lamented, my support team was of no help. One of them actually said,

"Here, take my mint. Might as well eat more since you already ate one." 

He's lucky I didn't bite him.  And, no--I DID NOT eat the mint he offered.


I was almost inconsolable--distraught as can be. How I ate something without knowing most clearly demonstrates that I am not present when eating, to the point I am not aware of what I'm eating. I consoled myself by the learning opportunity to pay attention when eating. Savor every bite. Taste the food. For Pete's sake, at least LOOK at what I'm shoving into this pie hole of mine. (Truth be told... I'm not sure if I was more upset because I ate a morsel of sugar of if I missed the potential deliciousness of the act.) Thankfully, the minor mishap didn't lead to cravings. It didn't lead to any change in my being. It was easy enough to move on and crawl toward Day 14.

The wife isn't much better. Last night when I mentioned how much I would enjoy a piece of chocolate, she told me--in a most serious manner--to eat one. Her rationale was that it didn't really "matter." What kind of hateful nonsense is that? I barked at her, scowling at her most blatant enabling, un-supportive dribble. She's lucky I didn't bite her, either.

Day Seven started the same way every day of the no-sugar experience has started: with a desire for chocolate. Not a need--a desire, definitely out of habit. A strong desire, yes. I'm sure Day Seven will end the same way, too: wanting chocolate or ice cream or sugar-filled cereal after dinner is a habit. If I had to vote, I think evenings are worse. In the morning, I'm distracted by lots of things and so can keep my mind busy. It's easy enough to change my morning routine, which helps. After dinner is low key, nothing pressing, no routine to change.

I haven't heard from my client, the 14-day liquid diet grrrl, since Day Five. I'll talk to her tomorrow, to see how she survived the weekend. I know she was miserable beyond compare on Day Five. I'm guessing Days Six and Seven aren't much better. I've got it much, much, much easier than her. I couldn't go 14 days without solid food. Besides, my 14 day effort is elective. Her liquid diet is not elective. That's pressure.

Maybe would should both take up smoking. I'm all for replacing one habit with another. Smoking's gotta be healthier than sugar.... right?

Heh heh. Bring it, Day 8-14. Promise me you'll save me some of those Christmas Cookies for when I come back to my senses.
************************************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment