Friday, December 30, 2016

Plates to Passport

Since we're heading into a new era, I thought It'd be a fine time to renew my passport. One never knows when a passport will be needed. Besides, what if the wife had purchased surprise-to-me tickets for an all-inclusive vacation in some other country and I couldn't go because my passport was expired? I'd be morose and she'd be going with some other lucky grrrrrrl.

These days, you can take your own passport photo and include it with the application, which saves you about $15.00. That's good enough for me. So, I read all the rule (there are a LOT of rules about a passport photo, including how you do NOT wear glasses in your passport photo) and started the serious mission of taking a selfie without my glasses on. Seeing (pun intended) as I am basically blind without glasses, this turned into quite an entertaining endeavor. I took photos of the wall, half of me, my neck, me looking cross-eyed trying to figure out where to look. Not exactly a raging success. The wife tried to help me when she got home but the shadows were problematic--which was in itself problematic because passport photos cannot include shadows. Suffice it to say, I ended up going to the local pharmacy which features passport-photo services for $12.99.

It was worth every penny.

As for the photo, well.... it's weird to see myself without glasses. Oh, I've worn contacts before so that's not what I'm talking about. It's that I haven't seen myself without glasses since the 1990's. I looked a lot different in the 90's. Like A LOT YOUNGER. When younger, I looked...well, younger. With my glasses, wrinkles, bags, sags and nose size are given the opportunity to hide or be camouflaged. Let's face it: I look a hell of a lot better when sporting spectacles. I'll have to remember that when contemplating a return to contacts or having eye surgery. My brain best tell itself: KEEP THE GLASSES.

BIG NEWS! The birds are now flocking to the heated water bowl, albeit not exactly to the actual water bowl. Thanks to Argo, a new system has been devised: the terra cotta plate (the one the birds LOVE) has been placed on top of the heated water bowl... ever since, the birds have been flocking (another pun intended) to the dish, slurping up water like they've been parched in the desert for years. Even the squirrels are back taking slugs of water. The water on the plate has yet to freeze, so the system is working handsomely.

It's kinda hard to see what's going on but here's what the successful system looks like. There was a bird taking a drink when I set off to take the photo but my arrival scared it away. Sigh.

The best part? I put the rock the wife gave me right next to the bowl. The birds land on the rock, hop onto the dish and take a slurp. It's delightful! The wife is still not pleased with how obsessed I am about the bird bath-for-the-winter but I know she is secretly enjoying the opportunity to see the birds up close and that she is smitten I'm using the rock she provided. She can pretend to be irritated but I know she's okay with the set-up. I saw her smile.

As for the final moments of my Christmas shopping (it's never over until it's over), I decided to use the money my parents gave me for something that will give all year long.
...Something that will go with me when I venture out into the world.
...Something I can share with those around me, strangers and friends alike.
...Something that others will enjoy just as much as I will.
...Something unique and individualized yet a part of the whole.
...something that will give for years and years to come.

What is this fantastic gift, you ask?

Why, it's personalized Chicago Cubs license plates!!!!! Genius, if you ask me. I know they will take a few months to get here, so it's an even better gift--a Christmas gift in February! I'm super-excited about this. It truly is the gift that will keep on giving. Thanks, Taco Juan and Wild mama!

I know I already wished you a Happy New Year, but you can never hear that enough, so I'll wish you a Happy New Year again. This year sure has been one weird ride but at least there was never a dull moment. I know 2017 will be quite the adventure. I'm glad we'll be on the adventure together. Goodness knows where we'll end up. I'll have my passport, so I'll be ready to go when opportunity calls. Just know I'll have my glasses on so I can see what's happening in 2017.

To all of us: may we stay classy, sassy and a bit bad assy. Happy New Year, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment