Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fifteen

Well, well, well.  Illinois is the 15th state to pass gay marriage.

Now, if you don't believe in gay marriage, I am all good with that and with you.  

If you do believe in gay marriage, I'm all good with that and with you, too.

We all have our own beliefs and convictions.  I am not here to judge who is right or wrong and I'm not here to try and convince you of anything about this issue.  I support the freedom to have your own beliefs and convictions even when I don't agree.

That said, Illinois rocks!

I didn't write about this gay-marriage-in-Illinois thing earlier because I was in disbelief, with few words to share.  (That's a first.) I never thought this would happen in my lifetime and I certainly didn't think it was going to pass in Illinois.  I hadn't planned on watching the fall veto session debate or potential vote--I promised myself I would not do that, as last time--when they did not call SB10 to vote in the House--I was devastated. I watched the whole thing via the Internet from my kitchen table, muttering for them to "call the vote." The longer time went on, the sicker I felt.  As time was expiring in the final session of the House, I remember yelling--no, screaming--at the computer screen: "THEY AREN'T GOING TO CALL THE VOTE!"

They did not call the vote and I decided, right then and there while seated at said kitchen table, that I would not watch when the fall veto session rolled around.  I refused to give one more penny to the effort toward a fall veto session vote. I deleted every single email I received without opening them. I refused to write or call my congresspeople again.

I was bitter, party of one.

Fast-forward to last week.  I knew the fall veto session was in process, so I avoided the news like the plague.  It wasn't until I took a quick peek at book de la face during a quiet moment on the job that I noticed the gay marriage debate was in progress.  I strengthened my conviction, saying aloud that I would not watch.  I tried to ignore all the links being posted that led right to the debate.  I argued aloud with myself, begging not to click on the link.

I clicked on the link.

It figures that I clicked on the link just as the nay-sayers were trashing the idea.  I said aloud, "I can't watch this. I swore I wouldn't watch this. I am not going to watch this."

A co-worker chuckled from the room next door.

I tried to leave the web site and get back to focusing on my work....but, I couldn't.  Instead, I turned up the volume, chastising myself the entire time.  My co-worker chuckled a little bit louder.  "I thought you said you weren't going to watch that."

(By this time, my boss, an advocate for all things in my life, knew I was doing this, so no worries. I texted her about the debate, alerting her I was watching.  She wished me luck.)

I sat there at my desk, engrossed in the debate.  Then, suddenly.....they called the vote.

One of my employees walked in to my office to ask me a question, right as they were calling the vote.  I screamed at him: 
"NOT NOW!"

(Boy, that's a great way for a boss to act.)

I held up my hand, giving him the palm-of-shut-up, my eyes still glued to the screen.  He slinked out of my office.  I gave a yell as he slinked out, "JUST WAIT A MINUTE!!"

They voted.  I held my breath, watching the tally of the vote.  Slowly, incredibly, amazingly....up popped the number "61."

Sixty one for number 15.  Gay marriage will be allowed in Illinois, starting June 1, 2014.

At first, I was incredulous.  It didn't really make sense.  Then, I was washed over by guilt--after all, I had all but shunned the process. Then, I was covertly giddy.  Then, I was back to incredulous.  It was just too much to fathom.  I'm not kidding when I say I didn't think it would ever happen in my life time.

The wife and I don't have to do anything except take our civil union license to the county clerk and "upgrade" it to a marriage license.  Incredibly, we will then be married, with our marriage date being our civil union date.  How wild is that? As of June 1, 2014, we'll have been married for almost three years....without even trying.

Lest you think this is a non-issue--after all, we had a civil union--let me assure you otherwise.  We can now file federal taxes as a married couple.  We can get on each other's insurance.  We don't have to worry about hospital rules for who can enter the room.....we will have the same rights as all married couples.  We will have access to spousal benefits in general.   By one vote, we got over 1,000 benefits that married couples get.  Over one thousand.

Here's the man of whom I need to apologize:

Dear Rep. Harris,
I am sorry for giving up, for not sending money, for spouting one negative comment, for refusing to believe in your efforts.  I should probably send you a bazillion dollars so you can be re-elected for the remainder of your life.  Your hard work is recognized and appreciated more than you can know.
Most sincerely, humbly and respectfully,
Addi Warrior Princess

I shall also apologize to all our straight friends who manned the phone banks and worked tirelessly to help further this cause:
Dear straight allies,'
I am a schmuck.  I grovel for your forgiveness.  You rock.
Love, The very un-deserving Addi Warrior Princess

No, there will not be a royal wedding, but I'm holding to the idea of having some form of a party.  I best invite Rep. Harris and all our hard-working, dedicated straight advocates. They are the reason we now have those 1000 rights.  They've earned a seat at a table of honor and a permanent place in my vault of gratitude.

Hmmmm.....shall we register somewhere and gets some china?

Heck no, we should be inundated with toasters.   ;-)
***************************************************************************
(If you don't believe in gay marriage, don't worry--we won't invite you. Just sayin'. But, be warned--you are going to miss a lot of fun.  Kiss kiss.)


No comments:

Post a Comment