Saturday, March 09, 2013

Taxed by Taxes

I blogged about doing taxes as a civil union-ized couple last year and think the post completely sums up this year's tax preparation endeavors. Sometimes, I get it right the first time and don't have to re-write what was already right in the first place, even a year later.  I invite you to review the most excellent entry from March 2012, with link noted below.

Taxes for the civilized remain challenging--after all, you have to fill out a federal "as-if-married-ghost form" before you can do your Illinois "Civilized-as-if-married" State taxes.  That means I did my federal taxes as single; I did the wife's federal taxes as single; I did a "ghost" federal form as if we're married; and, I did the Illinois state form as if we are married based on our fake federal form.  I think it's more about being pissed off than actual angst.  I keep hearing politicians say that civil unions are the same as being married and I want to say, "no, they are not--do YOU do your taxes like this?"

This year, tax time brought only a few moments of yelling, name calling and confusion. We only talked about getting divorced once, which is a HUGE improvement over last year's effort.

So, grab your calculator, bring along your matrimonial bliss and enjoy a blast from the past. It's worth it.

http://addiwp.blogspot.com/2012/03/to-understand-irony-of-most-recent.html



No comments:

Post a Comment