Saturday, September 24, 2011

Snape-a-licious

I've decided that because I am such the magician (able to make a hernia disappear with a blink of an eye) and because I've seen the final installment of HP four times and because it's just too hard to figure out the appropriate gaga outfit and because I didn't want to scare anyone by dressing like an o.b. tampon, I am going to dress as my beloved Severus Snape for Halloween. 

My other costume consideration was to dress as Katniss from "The Hunger Games," but I figure no one at work would know what or who the hell I was.  Maybe next year after the movie's been out for awhile.....

Now, I usually don't tell anyone what my plans are for my Halloween outfits, but this year's costume is going to be so labor intensive (I make my own costumes) that I thought it only fair to alert the masses of my whereabouts and my distractions.  Over the past many adult years, I've been Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poop, The Crocodile Hunter, Spongebob Squarepants, a smurf (which one I am not sure), Goldilocks, a groom, Popeye and even Batman.  Those were simple in comparison to this feat.  I thought about cheating (i.e. buying a costume on line) but to purchase an official Snape costume (and I don't believe the hair is included) is almost $200. 

I like Halloween but I don't like it that much.

So, I went to Wally world and bought some supplies to begin my creation.  I hope the wife still has her "cheap" graduation gown, as that will work for a cape (saves me money and will work like a charm).  I won't ask to borrow her official gown, as that cost more than the Snape outfit.  I'm not sure how I'm going to do it but this is my goal:

I'll need to buy a wig and a wand, but otherwise, I'll be faking the rest.

For the record, I've loved Snape from the very first book.  JK thought she had us all fooled, but she didn't fool me.  I knew.  I KNEW!

BTW, one of my clients--a guy with schizophrenia who usually doesn't demonstrate an interest in or an understanding of emotion--asked me if my heart was breaking when Snape saw his lovely Lily die.  Surprised, I turned to him and admitted that indeed it was.  He agreed with me.  "It is heartbreaking to see someone so in love lose the person they love."  Woof.  Blew me right away.

See? The power of Snape!

As for the hernia, I pushed it back in and I swear I haven't seen it since.  I am going to exercise this afternoon (the first time since seeing and then not seeing the hernia) and see if anything develops.  I can do some heavy lifting, too but I dont' want it to come shooting out like an alien--if it's there, it will come crawling out on its own. 

For those of you who are wondering and/or have been praying/sending out healing vibes, there is good news! Our friend who was in the burn unit at the local hospital, is home and getting ready to return to work part-time next week.  Yeah!  She's still got a ways to go but she is truly on the mend.  I went to see her and her sidekick yesterday.  I had called earlier and asked if I could visit around 2:30 PM.  They were gracious and agreed.  So, I'm in my car, driving in the country, enjoying the fine fall day, singing at the top of my lungs, heading to their homestead, cruising through the 30 minute trip.  I figure I have about ten minutes to go, so look at the clock and it says 1:17 PM.  I think to myself, "I am going to be right on time! Perfect!"

Um, hello.  The clock says 1:17 pm.....

.....not 2:17 PM.  I have ten minutes to go to get to their house at 2:30 PM but I am about to get there at 1:30 PM.

I am an hour ahead of schedule.

How this happened, I do not know.  I swear I left at 2 PM but somehow left at 1 PM.  Earlier in the day, I told my co-workers that I'd be leaving at 2 PM.  No one--not a one of them--said a word when I walked out at 1 PM. 


So, I called them and asked if I could come an hour ahead.  Being the ever-gracious hosts, they obliged my inability to tell time.  They fed me dark-chocolate-infused coffee cake and drown me in delicious coffee swimming in heavy cream. 

Um, aren't I the one who should be bringing the gifts?

It was wonderful to see our dear friend upright and not in an ICU bed.    It was also wonderful to her dutiful wife enjoying a hospital-free day.  What a great way to spend an autumn afternoon, even if it was an hour early. (Thank you for all the good wishes.) I know that THEY will appreciate my decision to be Snape.  After all, they have a life-size cut out of Dumbledore in their living room.    They'd also understand if I were dressed as Katniss, as it is their fault I know about the Hunger Games.

For now, I will dedicate to the creation of my costume and work on determining the status of my hernia/non-hernia.  I'll also work on telling time. 

My money's on the costume.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I totally had the same uncanny KNOWING w/Snape. Obscure is good -- I recommend going as Katniss' sister's cat.

    ReplyDelete