Thursday, September 01, 2011

Beetle-o-rama

This is a re-write of a previous post. Why? Because I was reported for copyright infringement, of which I shall not argue or speak of any further.  It had to do with the photo I gleaned off the internet, not the content of the blog.  (I am an original in that department.) Suffice it to say the original post has been deleted and I am proud to post this non-copywrite-infringe-tinged post.  I do believe the original of this was posted in 2010.  It took them over a year to address my issue.  I will be going through all my posts to make sure I do not have other issues to address; after all, they will delete my account if I am in further violation and I cannot even go there--where would I be without you in the Addiverse?

When the world comes to its predicted end in 2012 (tongue firmly in cheek), three species will survive: the cockroach (which we all have long known); Sweet William (the plant that is so invasive that I’m surprised it is not yet in our front room); and, the Japanese Beetle. If I had to picks which of the three would survive in the most hearty manner, my money would be on the Japanese Beetle.

Why? Because despite the ten zillion pounds of chemicals we dumped into our yard over the past year (we could probably qualify as a toxic waste dump) and despite the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars we spent to obliterate them, they are looking quite healthy and prolific in our back yard.

Snap! That was a vein snapping in my forehead. Those shiny little buggers make me crazy.

The wife had warned me the critters were back in town but I had yet to see them. Yesterday after work, I went and stared at the tree the Jap Beetles seem to love the most. I really didn’t see anything swarming around and the leaves looked fine, so I foolishly and most mistakenly thought we might have won the war. Today, I was out in the yard pulling weeds (a favorite past time—of this I am serious) and something dive-bombed my head. I pretended not to notice but it happened again.

I recognized that flight pattern.

I wandered over to the still-healthy-looking Flowering Cherry tree and looked up. Sure enough, I saw several Japanese Beetles swimming around toward the top of the tree. I stood there for awhile and observed the activity. It didn’t look like there was too much going on…..

I decided I had to know. I picked up the little trowel I had been using to weed, looked up toward the top of the tree and three that shovel as high as I could, right into the branches nearer the top than not.

The result? Beetle-mania.

I’m telling ya, beetles went everywhere. In the air, on the ground, in my hair, on my shirt.

God Bless America, Japanese Beetles were everywhere. It was disgusting.

Suffice it to say they are indeed back and they are indeed quite healthy. I’m hoping that the leaves are not as tasty as usual and thus the beetles will find elsewhere to go sooner than later. I’ve heard that you have to use the chemicals for many a year before they truly take effect….if that’s the case, I might as well save my money and wait until 2012 when I will no longer realize I have the issue....and they can hang out with their new best friend, the cock roach.

No comments:

Post a Comment