Thursday, September 08, 2011

And the greatest is love

Random thought #1: I don't know how parents do it.  How do you ever let your off-spring walk to school? Drive a car? Go on a date? Go away to school?  Oh my goodness, I am watching from a distance--watching my nieces grow up--and can barely take it.  I can barely stand taking care of dogs, it is so traumatic and they don't even go on dates or away to school or learn to drive.  God love all you parents.  You are much better people than I.

Random thought #1.5: I am lucky my parents didn't sell me or change the locks. Just sayin'.

Random thought #2: How much do you think three talking Bell-taco dogs, sealed in their original packaging, would sell for on Bay of E?  (I have no idea--I'm not here to tell you a great auction sale--I'm literally asking.) They still talk, which actually is pretty amazing.  Perhaps I should just give them to my parents for Christmas.  Could there be a better present? I think not. 

If you'd like to make an offer, I am listening.
So are the talking dogs.  I deliver--free shipping!

Random thought #3: I've decided that it was a lot easier to transition to college in the olden days before technology.  We didn't have cell phones, texting, book de la face, twitter or even email.  Heck, we didn't even have computers and we didn't get a land line until like the 6th week of school.  Come to think of it, we didn't have TVs or microwaves, either.  We had a little plug-in hot pot that we'd use to boil water or make some kind of soup product.  Okay, so the Internet and M-TV didn't exist either, but now I'm just sounding old.  It was "sink or swim."  You know, I just remembered that we couldn't have cars on campus our first semester of freshmen year, either....which also led to the "sink or swim" method of transitioning.  Sigh.  I am SO glad I am not a "going to college newbie." 

I am SO glad I am not the parent of a "going to college newbie."

Side random thought #3.5: did cable even exist when I was a college freshman????  I remember watching Luke and Laura's wedding, but that was on regular TV.  M-TV didn't come until the start of my sophomore year....cable?  I don't remember.....I know there were no CDs or DVDs yet and there certainly weren't any ipods.  We had cassette recorders and albums and antenna TV.  But, I cannot recall the arrival of cable.....

Random thought #4: Who were you with on September 11, 2001?  Now that we have arrived at the ten year "anniversary" of September 11, I've been thinking.  I also found--quite by accident--a local newspaper and a People magazine from that day.  (Found 'em while cleaning my plastic storage bins in the basement.  The timing couldn't be more apropos.)  Where where you?  I was with co-workers, on the lower level.  A co worker named Sharon came in and told us about the news.  We had no idea.  Actually, the words she said weren't making any sense--they didn't register.  I stood there while another co-worker, Wes, tried to adjust the TV antenna so we could see the news.  Once he we could see, we wished we couldn't. 

Like everyone else across the nation, I called my mother.

Ten years.  Can it actually have been ten years ago?  If you have lost memories of that day, may I suggest you listen to Alan Jackson's "Where Were You?"  (Link Below)  It's hard to listen to that song without having vivid memories and a lump in your throat.  As Alan says, "and the greatest is love."

 Random thought #5: How awesome is it to receive a Xena mug in the mail? Here I am enjoying the arrival of this gem.  If you are skeptical that little talking dogs will sell on Bay E, here is proof that they will---for pete's sake, I just bought a Xena mug!  The big question is should I use the Xena mug or not? It would sure be fun to drink coffee in a Xena mug every morning.  And, I could eat those brownies in the background when drinking coffee in a Xena mug.  I bought it to add to my collection (you know, Xena shot glass, mugs, dolls, books, shirts, photos, trading cards, lunch box, horse, race cars, etc.), but once I saw it, I thought I might actually have to use it.  I've never seen one on sale before, so that makes me want to collect it, not use it. 

Random thought #6: Life is short.  Burn the candles, wear that outfit, drive that Mustang in the winter, use that Xena mug.
************************************************************
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PwWkV4HQ4
************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment