Saturday, April 09, 2011

A Penny Saved

Today while walking, I saw a penny in a puddle.  I always keep my eyes glued to the ground when walking, just for times like these.  I am all about finding money during my strolls around the neighborhood.  (Last walk, I netted twenty-one cents.  Score!)  I saw the gleaming penny and stopped....it was in a rather dirty, pretty big puddle.  I thought about not sticking my hand in the muck but then decided this was a test from the Universe--would I or would I not look that gift penny in the mouth?


You bet your bippy that I bent over and plucked that copper cent out of the puddle.  All time low, maybe.  One cent richer, for sure. Thank you, Universe!

I'm not sure what it would take for me to not pick up money.  Probably bodily fluid....I don't think I'd pick a penny out of a used toilet, so it's good to know that I have some boundaries.

 After proudly finishing the dreaded "honey-do-list from hell" (including but not limited to walking the dogs, spreading grass seed, drinking golden arch coffee, cleaning my various piles around the house, vacuuming and bathing the dogs), I announced to the wife that it was time to get the civil union invitations made.  I figured the best place to go would be Ex-Kink-o-Fed, as they make a bazillion copies every day and I needed copies.  I triple-checked the two-sided, full color flyer/card and was quite pleased with my tacky rendition of an invitation.  Spelling looked good, information looked correct, tackiness certainly in place, wife approved.  I copied the invitation to a CD and off we went to the land of copies.

I am here to tell you two-sided, full color copies are a little more expensive than I had ever anticipated.  Okay, I admit--I hadn't really thought about it at all.  I don't think about those things--that's why I have the wife.  She thinks about those things.  Me? I just thought, "copies--easy!"  When the lady handed me the bill, I was rather stunned. I'll let you do the math--each invitation cost about $1.50 each.

Thank goodness I stopped and picked up that penny.

Our new mantra is: "we're only doing this once, so it's worth it."  We've been really reasonable in our efforts to celebrate in a fiscally prudent manner--I'm really proud of us!  Compared to a "real" wedding--we are barely spending a penny compared to the usual hemorrhaging of money by the bride and groom.  I'd rather the wife have a a new car or we go on vacation or we buy a boat or we get body suit tattoos than drop all that money on one day.  I know, I know--that is SO unromantic of me, but seriously.....no offense to all you brides of the world.  Sure, I've been to some awesome, kick ass weddings and have enjoyed every minute of them....but.....that tattoo body suit seems so much more intriguing to me....  

....Thank goodness we don't have a daughter who needs a dowry and that the wife is on the same page as me.  If not, I'd be looking for a lot more pennies AND digging them out of used toilets.


On a very, very, very happy note, the caterer has been secured.  I'm so excited!  The price was incredible, we got what we wanted, the set up and serving (with two staff) is included, I personally know the caterer and love her food (she makes a hummus that makes you want to weep). The entertaining part of the whole thing?  The caterer is from my previous place of employment.  What poetic justice--homophobia-ville is going to cater our civil union!!

I do so love the Universe's sense of humor.  

For the record, the caterer was always supportive when I was at the place of which I still do not speak, so I am very happy we will be working with her. She will make amazing food, for an incredibly reasonable price.  In an effort to express my thanks, I think I will give her one of the invitations and the next penny that I find. 
A penny saved is indeed a penny earned, a penny plucked out of a puddle is a free gift from the Universe, a penny given to the caterer is a penny well spent. 

Penny for your thoughts?  To the wife: we're worth every penny.  'Nuf said.

No comments:

Post a Comment