Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Don't Fly Like an Eagle

Allow me one more minute on my soap box. Whenever I wonder why I can't forgive, I think of the dogs. I know I've written about this before, but now that the rumblings are that a certain Eagle will be the NFL's MVP, I can't NOT write about it.

What if Michael Vick is awarded MVP for this year's NFL season?

There is huge potential this could happen....and, I don't think I can take it.

I love football. Love, love, love.

I do not love Michael Vick.

I thought I was all about redemption--after all, I am Xena's biggest fan and she's all about redemption--but, I just can't get there with him. For Pete's sake, I'm a counselor--if I thought people couldn't change, I wouldn't be in the field. My career is based on the fact that people can and do change.

So, what keeps me from believing that Michael Vick has changed?

Maybe it's because every time I look at my dogs and then look at him, I just do not understand. Of course, I love my dogs more than I like most people, so this isn't really fair to him. How do I know? Of course, I don't know. None of us knows. Hell, Michael Vick really doesn't know.

He's playing out of this world football. I can't--I won't cheer for him, I won't pick him for my fantasy team, I hate even writing about him. I don't want to give him one more milli-second of my time, but here I am, doing just that. He's gonna be MVP and the world will celebrate him.

Does that even matter in pro football if he is or is not a changed man? After all, the object is to knock the piss out of each other. There are all sorts of criminals playing in the NFL. From murderers to rapists, they are on the field making a zillion dollars each. I love football. I don't lose much sleep over those criminals. Why? Why is this so different for me?

Where is my spirit of redemption, of paying your debt? He has paid his debt to society. He completed his prison term. He has paid his fines. Yet, here I am, passionately angered that some guy who has nothing to do with me is going to get an award.

Here are my dogs. This explains a lot to me.

I am very disappointed in myself for not being able to let this go, but it is what it is.

I had originally posted a photo of why I cannot forgive him, how I cannot believe he has served his time and now should be forgiven. It was not an easy photo to look at, but it is what I think of when I think of him. 

I removed the photo but it still haunts me.  Google it if you want to see it, but be warned, it is disturbing beyond compare.  How can yet let a dog look like this and move on and then have the balls to see you'd like a dog for a pet?

I'm sorry, Michael.
I am sorry I judge you.
It's not my business.
No one left me in charge.
I would hope others would forgive me.
I would like to forgive you.
I really, really want to believe you have changed.
But, I don't.

THIS is the reason I have yet to let this go: the dogs.



If he ever does get a dog, I hope that dog bites his parts off and leaves him to bleed to death.

Not a very Christian thing to say at this time of year, eh?

I promise to be funny and irreverent and shallow next post. For today, this is where I am. This is who I am: a judgmental wench who can't let this image go....and, I'm all good with that.

I hope he doesn't win MVP. But, he will.

Mark my words: He will be this year's MVP because others can forgive him or because others don't care about what he did or because others actually think it's wrong he got in "trouble" for his dog fighting rings or because the NFL is full of all sorts of criminals--what's one more?

He will win because he had a kick-ass year, dead dogs be damned. That's all that matters in the long run. No one ever said you had to be a good person to win an award and get paid insane amounts of money.

Me? I am going to love my dogs like there is no tomorrow and for this moment cheer against a certain football player.

Like I said, I've written about this before. I hope I don't have to write about it again.
*****************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment