Sunday, April 11, 2010

WWMD II: Mulching for Gaga

If you haven't read the previous post first, you probably should do so. It's a chronological thing. If you don't care about order of events, are too lazy to scroll down and then scroll up or really don't worry about mundane things, it's all good--life will go on no matter what you decide to do and the blog will be just as delightful either way.

The Universe has spoken: a Lady Gaga Ticket is in hand! Was there a doubt? I decided to take a few minute break at the place of which I do not speak, try three times on that ticket-buying website, see if the Universe did or didn't have Gaga in mind for me.

It was destiny. I threw people out of my office (yelling things like, "GET OUT OF MY OFFICE-- I'M TRYING TO BUY GAGA TICKETS!"), jumped on the web site, tried two times and WA-LA! The opportunity to buy a ticket for face value was presented to me. Three minutes later, I was back to work, now giddy with delight about my decision & purchase.

The Universe rocks.
In order to make such a purchase, I had to make some choices. One was to spread ten yards of mulch on my own instead of pay someone to do it. The wife paid for the mulch; I "paid" for the labor by doing it on my own (saving us the $150 it would have cost--more than the cost of my ticket, fees, parking, gas). I've spread mulch before, but it's been a few years. I've seen a ten-yard pile of mulch before, but it's been a few years.....

I wish you could have seen my face when I came out of the garage and around the corner and I saw that ten-yard pile of mulch. I literally gasped and the "F" word came to mind. Ten-yards of mulch is a LOT more than I remember it to be. The photo on my Gaga ticket about does no justice to how big the pile was--it was literally five feet tall (this photo was taken after I had spread some of the mulch--I decided to take a phone photo before becoming delirious).

Suffice it to say, I mulched and mulched and mulched til the cows came home (and, went back out). At one point, I remember thinking, "ten years ago, I would have been done by now;" at another point, I remember hallucinating that Carrie Underwood had just jogged by. Whenever I became discouraged, I would think about Lady Gaga and how this was paying for the concert. I was also motivated to keep moving by the Carrie Underwood concert later in the evening--chores need to be done before seeing a farm girl in concert.

Thankfully, Gaybor Pebbles (I'm going to call her that today in honor of her hair do), Bitty Bichon and Brown dog came over, which served as a great distraction, the perfect reason to take a break and eat a McD sundae, served as a new audience to which I could whine. Gaybor Pebbles was dumb enough, er I mean generous enough to offer to help. Fool! Hell, she's 15 years younger than me, so I didn't feel too badly about her helping with the Gaga mulch project. Besides, we were going to the Carrie Concert with them; her help ensured I would be ready, fresh and pretty by the time dinner time rolled around.

We shoveled, we wheel-barrowed, we dumped, we spread. Mulch got in my eyes, sinuses, ears, shoes. I think I heard a muscle scream around 3 PM but I did not let it stop me. Lady Gaga kept me moving.

By the time 4 PM came around, I was screaming for Jesus to take the wheel.

Incredibly, the pile was gone, done, spread. I had plenty of time to pick the mulch out of my ears, shower, get to dinner on time and be at the concert with time to spare. The Gaybors, Master Pastor Reiki, Blue Eyes and the wife had a grand time at the Carrie concert.

Side note: The Carrie concert was quite wonderful. Her singing has improved tremendously since the last time we saw her, she played a very generous two-hour, song packed set, she was engaging, real and warm. Having Craig Morgan open for her didn't hurt, either. Thankfully, it was a really tame, seated, well-behaved crowd--I don't think I could have remained standing during the whole concert nor do I think I could have danced like I usually do at concerts. I was a hurting pup, a tired dog.

Side side note: I was confused by the crowd--I'm used to standing, dancing, thrashing, beer spilling, swearing, singing, hurting from how loud the music is--not sitting and politely clapping. Usually, I would have hated that but in this case it was very helpful. (I did stand up when Carrie came out and was ready to dance, but the dirty looks shamed me into sitting right back down.)

Was it worth it? Was it worth a Lady Gaga ticket to spread ten yards of mulch?

Do you really have to ask? Of course it was! Gaga is worth ten yards of mulch.

Eleven....probably not. Ten....definitely. Here's hoping I can get out of bed tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment