Monday, April 12, 2010

Embracing My Inner Republican

I dedicate this blog to NRA grrrrl, who is a rock star in my book. Here's to balancing my portfolio, so to speak.

This was a hard blog to write. Sometimes, it's really hard for me to behave. It's hard for me to be of a Republican nature. It was important I embrace my Inner Republican, but it was really tough--much harder than I anticipated. I had moments I thought I was going to veer off my Republican path. I worked hard to not post inappropriate photos or to be a smarty pants. Alas, I reeeeally wanted to do NRA grrrrl right. I wanted to respect her and her peeps. Sometimes, you just have to be respectful and knock it off. After all, if you want respect, you gotta give respect.

I keep telling myself, "Abraham Lincoln was a Repbulican and look how awesome he was." Ted Nugent is a Republican. Dr. Phil is a Republican. Heather Locklear is a Republican. I can do this!

A few weeks ago, I went on a Book de la Face un-friending spree. Suffice it to say, I had had just about enough of everybody and everything, especially those who were actually posting things of substance. I got overwhelmed by all the seriousness--I needed stupid, no-brain-cell-usage kind of friends. It wasn't one side of the fence or the other--I was equal opportunity frustrated. Some people I un-friended; others, I outright blocked. (The ones I outright blocked were the problem children from the place I do not speak. Adios and good riddance, I say. They earned their blocking.)

Call it a hormonal rage, call it a moment of weakness, call it sophomoric. I call it problem solving in a pinch.....

The wife calls it "junior high school."

For the record, had I realized I could just "hide" people's posts, I would have done that. It would have been a LOT easier than un-friending, it would be a temporary fix/vacation and it would have served as a great way to temper my temper. But, no--click! click! click! Un-friending a go-go.

Does anyone else think it's funny (ironic?) that this really passionate & opinionated writer was irritated by other passionate, opinionated people? Tolerance. I lost a grip of any shred of tolerance simmering deep within my soul. Must've seeped right out my ass when I wasn't looking. I forgot my inner Abraham Lincoln, my oneness with Heather Locklear.

Anyways....I had totally forgotten about the unfriending spree until I got a message yesterday from one of the peeps I had actually ripped from my friend list. Stunned me right out of my pants. I give this lady HUGE props. HUGE. I mean it is SO not junior high to inquire about this.

(Actually, I can't remember who I actually unfriended, so it was nice to figure out one of the people that I had chopped. I'd like to re-friend some more people but I can't remember who was on the chopping block and thus I have to wait for them or wait for some distant memory to come rushing to the front of my brain.)

This person is a conservative. A Republican. A Tea Party-er!

And, I am here to tell you--she is also quite the woman. Seriously. I'd say that whether or not she belonged to the NRA. I won't quote what she said--suffice it to say what she wrote was just so nice I could vote for Ronald Reagan on a $50 bill.

So, I have a new old friend and I'm embracing my inner Republican....for the next 30 minutes. You didn't think this would be an on-going thing, did you? After thirty, I'll work on being a tolerant, educated, balanced human being.

Just don't ask me to say anything nice about Ann Coulter. There's only so much I can embrace at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment