Saturday, March 13, 2010

Imma Be Blogging about My Peas

Did I hear someone turned 40 this week? Shout out to Papa Bear George. The forties rock.

Imma be blogging about my peas. For all of you wondering what happened to my grammar and why I'm writing about veggies, I'm talking about the Black Eyed Peas--the band--using the words of their song (Imma Be). MJagger, Ciabatti Bread and I went to the Peas concert Thursday night. Can you believe I went to a concert on a school night? An out of town concert on a school night? Oh my! I'm living on the edge now. 

Happy. There is no other word to describe going to a BEP concert. The whole thing is happy. I suppose you could say fun, energetic, shiny, glamorous, visual, sweaty, loud (my second choice of words would indeed be loud--loud as in hurts your chest when the bass thumps hurt). You can't have a bad time with the Peas. 

Imma be talking more about the Peas in a moment. First, I want to recall our dinner, which for all intensive purposes was not a dinner but rather a test of resolve and patience. Through the whole ordeal, I kept saying, "this is SO blog-worthy!" We met Ciabatti Bread's sister at the Turner Building, as it is right across the street from the Bradley Center (where the Peas were waiting for us). We went there because it appeared to have a smaller crowd than the other bars in the area. It wasn't our first choice but we needed to eat and get to the stadium. Here's a drawing of Turner Hall, from the olden days. (It always to have visuals, don't you think?) When they told us we'd only have a ten minute wait, we thought we had struck gold. Sure enough, they seated us quickly....albeit upstairs in what I fear was not part of the restaurant. You have to understand that the Turner Hall used to be a gymnasium/hall. I think we were in an old gym but I can't say for sure.... 

....It really wouldn't have mattered we were in an old gym if we got served something--anything--food, water, crumbs. Seems there were only two waitresses for the entire gym. Neither would make eye contact with us--which is always a bad sign. I can't sum up the experience without going on for days, so suffice it to say that we had to write our own order on a piece of paper and then basically stalk the waitresses until one of them finally took the paper order down to the kitchen. (I added my own commentary to the order, advising the cook that we were very hungry, we were sick of waiting, that Fergie was waiting for us.) We then had to stalk the waitress for everything, as they never did bring our drinks (not even water) until we threatened harm AND were already eating. I ordered a root beer, as it's supposedly made in Milwaukee and was served--or, supposed to be served--in a frosty mug. I'm hear to tell you that my mug was not frosty, the root beer was not frothy and it was rather luke-warm. Ciabatti Bread ordered a Diet Coke--her's came with a bottle of rum in it (quite to her surprise--you should have seen her face when she took a slug). MJagger's bottled beer was warmer than my rootbeer. As the waitress reported, "we're out of sour cream," (how does a restaurant run out of sour cream during the 5 PM rush?), a patron at a different table came over and gave us her sour cream. I had to go to another part of the restaurant to secure salt, pepper and ketchup. 

You had to be there to understand how entertained I was by the whole ordeal. I laughed through the whole thing because it was so absurd. (I'd say it was ludicrous, as the name of the opening band was Ludacris.) It was easier for me to be entertained than it was for the others, as I had eaten dinner before leaving for the concert--I figured we'd end up in a bar and finding bar food for vegetarians is often difficult if I want to eat anything beyond fried cheese curds and fried mushrooms (of which I have no interest). Anyways, we finally got food and beverages. I attest to you that the waitress had no problem getting the check to us quickly. One must have priorities.  

We were seated in time to see/hear/experience Ludacris. I decided quickly that I am too old to be hanging out with Ludacris. When I say it hurt, I'm serious. My chest ached every time the bass thumped/rocked/shook the building. My ol' pleurisy was screaming GET.OUT.NOW! I love loud music but I've never hurt from it. Thankfully for my pleurisy-scared insides, Ludacris played for only 3o minutes. 

The Peas didn't take the stage until 9:15 PM--the time I usually go to bed. I didn't mind, as the concert was that much fun and kept me very much awake. Two hours of dancing, singing, smiling, laughing, drooling. If you want to read a description of the concert, I'll provide a link below. I'll just say it was really fun. It wasn't Madonna but it didn't have to be, as it's a whole different experience. (It was also way cheaper, which is a very good thing.) I loved that they gave each of the Peas a solo portion of the show--how could I live without a Fergie segment of her mega-hits including "Glamorous" and "Big Girls Don't Cry." I also loved that Ciabatti Bread belted out the songs; who knew she'd know all the words? I loved that Fergie's hair looked just like MJagger's hair--I like MJagger's current look of dark hair with bangs, but she thinks it makes her look like Dora the Explorer. Now she can say her hair looks like Fergie's hair, which is a really,really good (hot) thing. (Yes, Fergie did indeed do her one-handed cartwheel down the catwalk. MJagger may have her hair but she did not do any cart wheels.) 

We were a sweaty mess by the time we left. Imma be smelly. The drive home sucked, as 1.5 hours in thick fog (pea soup fog?) on a dark, lonely road in the middle of corn fields is not very fun, especially when it's way past your bed time. MJagger kept it between the lines. I got to bed around 1:30 AM, which is only a few hours away from the time I get up. Going out so late on a school night makes for a very long work day the following day. 

Imma be really tired. 

 My ears and chest have recovered quite nicely. I am enjoying BEP music and find myself saying "Imma be" before all my sentences. Imma be writing a blog. Imma be eating dark chocolate. Imma be having a headache. Imma be going to the Cheddarlands again today. Imma be enjoying BEP music. Imma be happy because the BEP make everything so shiny and happy. Imma be done with this blog entry. Imma be hoping you have a great Saturday! I've gotta feeling it's gonna be a good night. http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/musicandnightlife/87454892.html

No comments:

Post a Comment