Saturday, December 05, 2009

Bears vs. Packers, Here we Come!

For those of you that don't know, I was born and bred in the jurisdiction of the Chicago Bears, so it's been a long (Lambeau) leap to hang out with the wife's ever-loving, all-residing Cheddar heads without guilt and shame. As evidenced in this picture, I have indeed embraced the ways of the wife, as it not only assures my place with the in-laws, it also has allowed me to attend some awesome professional football games in a town that loves football more than life itself. (It's a terrible photo of me but what the hell--I'm in the land of green and gold and I was freezing and I was pouring hot chocolate down my pants in an effort to get warm--it illustrates my dedication to the wife and her beliefs as well as illustrates my interest in attending professional football games....) I grew up in the landing pattern of O'Hare, far away from Vince Lombardi and the Frozen Tundra. I grew up eating Gene & Jude "rubber dawgs," not some brat product. In other words, deep down inside, little blobs of blue and orange blood pulse through my veins.

So, last night we are eating dinner with the gaybors and they ask us if we would like their Bear vs. Packers tickets for next weekend at Soldier Field. I thought I might have guacamole in my ears--I could have sworn they just ask us if we wanted their tickets so we could go to Soldier Field for a Bears/Packers game......

The look on the wife's face assured me I had heard correctly. Tickets to Soldier Field! Wow! I think I was speechless. At least, I don't remember speaking. I was too surprised and excited to think or speak. Yup, the gaybors were giving us their tickets (and parking pass!) to the game, as they have a conflicting commitment.

Is life good or what?!

I've never been to a Bears Game nor have I been to Soldier Field. I've been to a whole slew of Cubs games, I've even been to two (dear god) White Sox games (I've never admitted that til this moment), but never a Bears game. I've always wanted to go to a game there but have never made it, for one reason or another. I've driven by Soldier Field a bunch of times but have never been inside.

The thought of seeing the wife's beloved Packers playing the Bears in Soldier Field is almost enough to make my ovaries shoot out all their remaining eggs.

We are going to the Bears/Packers Game!

The wife inquired what might happen to her if she wore her Packer Paraphernalia to the game; the gaybors seemed to think it would be okay. I'm a bit more skeptical, but will go with whatever is decided. Just to be on the safe side, I'll keep the car keys--if Bears fans come crashing down on her, I can quickly (and with much cowardice) run away, jump in the car and scream down the Eisenhower, all the way professing my allegiance to Halas.

I, on the other hand, will proudly sport blue and orange, complete with my stadium length Bears coat my parents gave me many a Christmas ago. No green and gold for me. This game is all about the Monsters of the Midway, of Sweetness and of Sayers, of nasal Chicago accents and Chicago traffic jams.

It is also about dressing warmly. December in Chicago can be brutal. (Or, it can be in the 60's. One never knows.) Layers. I'll have to dress in layers. I know I'll be cold, I know I will whine, I know I will lose feeling in my feet....

....but, I also know that I will be one mighty happy Chi-caw-goan that day and know that my frozen toes are only temporary.

Note to the wife: next Sunday, I will be orange and blue and will remember what I was brought up to believe:

"I have two favorite football teams--The Bears and anyone who beats the Packers.
"

Amen.
*******************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment