Friday, October 09, 2009

Wide Awake on a Friday Night

It's 10:30 pm on a Friday night and I can't sleep. Most of you would laugh if I told you this qualifies for insomnia in my world, but it does. Since I went to bed at 8:53 pm (because I have to get up at 5 AM) and because I am still awake at this moment, I can call it whatever I want. I decided getting out of bed and writing a blog would be better than lying in my bed, listening to the irregular beat of my heart and potentially keeping the wife awake by my awake-ness (who is thankfully asleep despite her painful bout of sciatica). I think I have chosen quite wisely in getting out of bed and the dogs are very happy as they love when I retire to the couch instead of the warm bed. Besides, I was fretting about not having written a blog entry this week, so this kills two birds with one stone--get up AND write a blog. What a great world! I could easily seek pharmaceutical intervention, but decided to wait until midnight if I should remain awake at that bewitching hour.

Here's a photo of an art piece I recently completed, called "Grandma's Bowl." I was once again invited to submit artwork for a silent auction for the regional food pantry, with the only requirement for any art is that it be or contain a bowl. This year, as well as last, I gave "up" on making a bowl and instead made "drawings" involving bowls. The way I make these pieces of art is via a new technique for me--I tell you no secrets but admit that I like the product and it's easy to create. It's been a long time since I said something like that, so it it makes my heart warm to know I have created something of my liking. (I'm a tough critic and usually don't like anything I make.) This piece is also unusual in the fact that it is quite small--it's only 8.5 X 11, which for me is like making a postage stamp. Alas, my art appears to be evolving as I evolve. I will tell you it's a ass-backward way to make art for a silent auction--I have to provide a title to the sponsoring parties before I actually make the art. I'm guessing some people plan ahead or use art that they have already created. Me? I like to procrastinate to the bitter end.

I decided this year's bowl would feature lasagna, made only the way my grandmother could have made it. No wimpy cottage cheese for her; it's all ricotta, baby. When I think of lasagna, I think of the early 1970's, sitting at the kiddy table on Christmas Eve. Although the presents waiting upstairs were the big draw, the lasagna was a close second. I had considered making a bowl that represented "The Cottage," but that seemed less conducive to making something that would be universal appealing. (Man, am I profound at 10:30 pm or what? This sure beats harvesting my cotton on Ville de la Farm on Book de la Face and it's hands down better than being totally distracted by the whole loud heart thing. May I add that Watching "Seven Pounds" before bed didn't help my sleeping abilities one bit.)

Since this picture was relatively easy to make and because I like the final product, I am planning on making a whole bunch of drawings over the next few months. I go on "art dry spells" for long periods of time and usually only surface for art air when "forced" to choke up something creative. I've got some nifty ideas and plan on doing a "piece a day" starting next week. They aren't too messy and contain no glitter, so that is all good with the wife (who, by the way, absolutely abhors when I include glitter in my artwork). Of course, the road to hell is paved with good intention and I have several evenings next week which are already booked, so it may have to be "a few pieces a week" until further notice.

Now that I have babbled on about art (for no reason but my own--I am a self centered wench), I am feeling a bit more tired. I'm not sure I'm ready for sleep but the dogs are snoring, the lights are off and I am comfortably positioned on the couch. Why I go to the couch when there is another bed is beyond me, but it's where I always end up when I can't fall asleep. It's nice to have canine camaraderie....and, it does give me access to things like the computer and chocolate.

I'm hoping this "insomnia" I've been experiencing over the past many months isn't something I will be experiencing over the next ten years (perimenopause--it's always something; but, judging from the volume of same-aged Book de la Face friends who make notes about being awake and having insomnia in the wee hours, I'm guessing I am not alone. Alas, if I am not alseep in an hour, I will indeed take some form of pill, havest some farm products and call it a night, awake or not....

.,,,less caffeine and more exercise tomorrow will help my cause, but what fun is that?
**************************************************************************

1 comment:

  1. Paula4:54 PM

    I like it, even w/out the glitter.

    ReplyDelete