Monday, October 05, 2009

Closure

This photo of madonna has nothing to do with anything
except that if you look reeeeeeally closely, you'll see Freckles Warrior Princess and Lucy Bark of Poteidaia on her t-shirt. Is that hilarious or what? God, I love computers.

I have plenty of time to write this blog, as the wife is busy being miserable while watching the Packer/Viking game.
Her misery is twofold: she hates Brett Favre/entire Vikings franchise; and, her sciatic nerve is out of control, so she can't stand up straight/sit comfortably/move fast/move at all. I highly doubt watching the game will help her sciatic nerve (or, her well being or her blood pressure or anything in general). The game would have been bad enough without the physical pain....I am going to sit quietly in the corner and type and say, "Yes, Dear" whenever applicable.

Shameless plug: By the way, if you want to read a book my cousin wrote, go to Lulu.com and search "Offing Miss Nevada." Five bucks for a downloaded copy of her first novel. I downloaded my own copy and will let you know what I think. Remember, tho: if you buy a copy of her book, you BETTER buy a copy of my book when it is in print. I'm counting on you, beloved blog readers.


The 25th college reunion has come and gone. Although only three of us from the Class of 1984 managed to make it back to campus, it went swimmingly and fun was had by all. I gotta tell ya, though--the Class of 1979 looked like they were having an awesome time. Music, tent, gatherings....Good for you, party alums! The Class of '84 could learn a thing or two from you.

I am happy to report that the wife and I had plenty of time to hang out with Alum 2/3 and 3/3 on Saturday afternoon and evening. We had time to walk around the campus (albeit in the rain), participate in the taping of alumni telling tales of their days at the school, hang out in one of the student lounges, and....plenty of time to make amends and find closure. As Alum 3/3 said, "it meant a lot to me to come back to campus and have some closure--you and I are both very different people than we were back then--or, better, we kept the best part of ourselves and allowed the rest to grow the hell up."

Ain't that the truth.

When Alum 3/3 says we are different people than we were in college, she isn't kidding! It's not about jobs or master degrees or types of cars--we are different, better people. Although I'm an alumna-slug , I like to believe I am relatively stable, much nicer, much more socially conscious, much more reflective, definitely healthier. Alum 3/3 is in a much better place, is an eloquent speaker, incredibly knowledgeable, profoundly comfortable in her own skin. I sense Alum 2/3 has found a sort of peace. (If you're wondering, I'd say college found one of us a loud drama queen, one of us a drunken ball of emotions and one of us a confident-less, quiet loner. I'll leave it to you and your imagination to figure out who's who.)

Alas, youth really is wasted on the young. :-)

I like the word "closure." I've been thinking about what word might sum the reunion up and that's it...so, thanks Alum 3/3. I have a lot of amends to make and I'm glad these two classmates didn't pound the piss out of me when we re-united. I would have deserved it. (Thank you for being kind.) It's always a wonderful opportunity when there is a chance to find closure and to make amends. (I'm really, really am sorry I hid in the back of a closet during that really loud dorm party so you wouldn't see me when it was my job to stop the party. More importantly, I'm really, really sorry I was a jerk.)

Enough sappy dribble. Let's go back to the wife and her Monday Night Football game. I think the wife is seeking closure about Brett Favre betraying the Packers. I think she'll find it if the guy throws a bunch of interceptions and the Vikings lose. Or, she'd be happy if the Pack knocks the pound the piss out of ol' Purple Number Four. He can go back to Lambeau Field for a reunion but he can forget about making amends--those Packer Fans aren't EVER going to forgive him.
***********************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment