Thursday, July 09, 2009

Prime Time

This bird has a problem. It lives under our deck and does not fly. Every once in awhile its mom flies in, shoves a worm down its throat and leaves it to fend for itself. I don't think it has long for this world. It hurts my heart. Nature is so cruel. (It is NOT cruel not to kill Japanese Beetles in any capacity.)

The poor wife--she remains distracted by the whole MJ thing. I may have to pry her away from the T.V. soon or she will turn into a one-gloved, white-socked blob of pop music.

While driving from Wally World to work this morning, my head was swirling with work issues, social engagements scheduled over the next four days, blogging, beetles, being in my prime, how I'm thinking the Republicans in Illinois might actually have it right about working a budget (the horror, the horror!), etc. Sure, last night I was a coach potato with nothing firing in the brain; this morning, I am a-fire with ideas.

My Beloved Lady Chiropractor has been on my mind, not only because my knees are aching today (don't ask) but also because MJagger asked if I wanted to go to her gym yesterday--the same gym My Beloved Lady Chiropractor goes to. As I know it's MBLC's day off (I am a true stalker) and as I hadn't shaved my legs or brought any work out clothes worthy of being out in public, I declined. I really wanted to go but it wasn't worth the cost of being seen looking like a homeless person posing as a health club member. MJagger and I continue to prep for our upcoming 5K walk, only two weeks away. I may be in my prime, but I am not in prime shape. Man, life sure is different at 47--when I was 27 and running 13 miles at a time, it took me 1.5 hours to recover. Now, it takes me two days to recover from a 14 minute mile. I am SO not aging gracefully. Perhaps I should ask MBLC to be standing at the finish line to help us with first aid as needed. Is there a doctor in the house?

Hey--did you hear me on the radio Tuesday around 5:30 PM? That was me, sounding like a moron on a pop-music radio (of which I will deny listening to), winning a trivia quiz prize. Don't get excited--I won a four-pack of tickets to attend a local festival--but, I'm a winner, so that's what matters. I was talking on the phone while driving, which really isn't a good idea. Worse, I couldn't remember what radio station I had called, so when the DJ asked me, "What radio station just made you a winner?" I had a brain fart and couldn't say a word. Great. I'm sure he's glad a 47 year old lady talking on a cell phone who can't remember more than her name just won his prize on live radio.

The question was lame and I had heard the same question the day before on the morning show, so it was a no-brainer....well, besides which radio station I was listening to at the time....

Thinking about cell phones while driving got me thinking about my walk last night, where I was walking and texting. This is a very bad idea--not only because you walk slower, but because you miss seeing important things like curbs, cracks in sidewalks, parked cars. The wife informed me that one of the most common visits to the ER these days is due to people walking and texting at the same time. I love to multi-task but seems this may not be the avenue to do such activity. I narrowly missed an unscheduled visit with a side view mirror due to my inability to enjoy one thing at a time. (If it matters, I was texting my nieces, who are now in Alabama--in a Target parking lot. Haven't heard from Daytona D for a dot, so who knows what they were doing at Target.)

I'm busy labeling all my blog entries, so it will be easier to find things you might be looking for (I know you have nothing better to do than go back and read my old entries), so I can remember what the hell I've written about and so I can remember all those nick names I've slapped on family, friends, service providers, political figures, sources of irritation. Organization. It's all about organization and consolidation. (And, labeling--I'm all about labeling people--ha ha!) Well, it's a really slow, boring, painful process. Had I kept up as I went along, I wouldn't be in this pickle. In true grandiose fashion, I tell myself this organization will come in handy when I write my book....

As you may be able to tell, I am feeling nostalgic this morning, of which I do not have time to do. I was thinking about how we've been in our house for 14 years and how we lived in the same apartment for 10 years before that. What this has to do with anything is beyond me, but it's what is in my brain, along with those four billion other things in there. Maybe buying buying baby wipes at Wally World (not for babies) triggered some long lost thoughts. Maybe the excitement of going to a Brewer's Game this weekend has warped my brain (focus on Cubby Blue!); perhaps the need of coffee left things fuzzy enough that there was room for thoughts about inconsequential dribble. Maybe it's the realization that we are going out to dinner tonight with a person from a job from my distant past. Actually, I think all that time on the couch last night, staring at Book de la Face, put me on memory lane.

Ah, the joys of being a prime in her prime. Unlike those-non-babies who need the baby wipes, I still have a memory lane to walk down...and, for that I shall be grateful today.
*****************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment