Thursday, August 28, 2008

History

I shall now take a moment to be serious. Do not be alarmed. It is not your computer. This seriousness will last only a moment or two and then we shall return you to normal programming.

I shall now take a moment to be opinionated. Oh wait--I am opinionated every blog entry. Never mind.

I shall now take a moment to speak of politics, of which I know can get ugly. I feel history in the making is worth any ugliness that might surface. I know that some are not ready for the change that has come to us on this historic night. Just keep telling yourself "it will be all right, it will be all right." Breathe, because it WILL be all right.

Tonight, Mr. Obama will be given the chance to be an American President.

Now, in many ways I find it absolutely disgusting that this event is historic--I see it as embarrassing. Why on earth--until the end of the first decade in the 21st century--did it take so long to get to this point? And why are so many people afraid of this historic event?

The rest of the world think we are morons...and, in many ways, they are right. Americans sure are stupid when it comes to some things.

For those of you who are concerned about the consequences of tonight's events--that a man of color is going to be named the Democratic candidate for the presidency--may I suggest to you that you instead focus on this man's message of change and hope. If you still have problems, say this mantra: "He was born in America. He is not Muslim. He is not another four years of George Bush."

If you are still having trouble with this whole thing, focus on John F. Kennedy while breathing and reminding yourself Obama does he want anything more than to be President and that if ending segregation was good enough for Lincoln, it's good enough for you.

(History Lesson: President Kennedy--the very beloved, white Catholic President Kennedy--started the ball rolling in regards to civil rights. The resulting Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlawed racial segregation in schools, public places, and employment. Conceived to help African Americans, the bill was amended prior to passage to protect women and created the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. I think JFK would be disgusted it took this long to get to this point, but he's still dead so we can't ask.)

Tonight is a historic night and I am excited for such an event to come to America, better late than never.

In honor of history in the making, I end with words gleaned from Martin Luther King's "I have a Dream" speech, delivered on August 28, 1963. Over the top? Maybe. About time? Absolutely. With that, I say "let the campaign begin!"


.....Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.


.....Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.


Let freedom ring.

.........And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring—when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children—black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics—will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!






P.S. Al Gore, I still love you madly. I am sorry I voted for you and made you lose the race. I promise not to vote for Obama so he loses, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment