Saturday, October 06, 2018

Giveth and Taketh

What a month September was. Too dark and stressful for my tastes. There were some highlights to save the Addiverse from certain doom. Let's focus on the positive, shan't we?

Two words: Murphy Brown. Thank god for the return of that show. If you didn't like it decades ago, you won't like it now. But, for me--loved it then, loved it now. A true bright spot in a long month.

Ask and receive. Many of you already know this story, but I'm telling it here for proper documentation for all generations to come. The wife and I were at a Packers' game, seated in her beloved Lambeau. While I enjoy going to the Mecca with her, being a gluten free vegetarian in Lambeau sucks. I had eaten as much gluten-free, veggie stuff as I could find (plain nachos, anyone?) but chocolate was nowhere to be found. (Who doesn't sell chocolate? What is wrong with that place? Did the sense I was from Illinois and hid it from my view?) I turned to the wife and quietly whined,

"Oh, how I wish I some chocolate!"

As I'm looking at her, I see a gold flash by our feet.

.....I look down and there rolled--and, stopped--a fun-sized Reeces peanut butter cup. 

I can't make this stuff up.

I looked around to see if anyone had dropped it and now was looking for their little piece of heaven. Nothing. I scanned the crowd to see if anyone was smiling like they rolled chocolate toward me. Nothing. I picked up the piece of candy, looked at it, looked around again....

....then, I unwrapped it and ate it.

After all, the Universe giveth. I taketh.

Of course I ate it. Did you really have any doubt? I've eaten ice cream cake from the garbage. Heck, it was wrapped. It wasn't warm, it didn't look damaged, it was wrapped. I popped that puppy into my mouth pronto. For the next quarter, I kept looking around. I never saw anyone eat any candy. Thank you, Universe. next time I need to dream big... perhaps whine about how I wish I had ten million dollars.

On a different front, I've been teaching an on-line class. I use the word "teaching" lightly, as I've never taught an on-line class before nor have I ever taken one. It's hard to design a course of which you have no idea of what it should look like, how much work would be required, how to tell if students are even doing anything. I'm not sure if the students are laughing, groaning, swearing or praising. It sucks the life force out of me, all this thinking and starting from scratch. The "live" class is so much easier as I have taught it several times and I've taken actual classes. I have a vision of what a class "looks like." The "live" class design as been complicated by the on-line version as I've had to make sure the work for the two classes be comparable. Let's just say the live class is getting the better end of the deal.

Yes, I've asked the younger generation about their on-line classes. Their answers are quite varied. Some had to be in front of a computer at a certain time every week. Some had to be on camera for class. Many had to complete work but do so at their leisure. All had discussion boards. Most didn't give on-line classes rave reviews. So, why are they becoming so popular?

I've taken on-line training at work but nothing like a semester-long class. I'm going to have to take an on-line class to get a better idea of what should be happening. Or, I'm going to have to hire a traditional age college student as a consultant and have them sit with me while I create the remainder of the course.

As for tonight, I'm going to a concert/movie. The orchestra plays the movie score while the movie shows on the big screen. A novel concept, I must say. I've attended such an adventure before and really enjoyed it. Tonight will be no except. The only thing that could make it better is....

....you guessed it. The only thing that could make it better is if a piece of chocolate rolls down the aisle and lands at my feet.

Are you listening, Universe?
**********************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment