Thursday, December 14, 2017

Two blogs in one week--what is this madness?

This is called "I don't have to work thirteen hours a day any more" madness. I actually found myself at the kitchen table this morning with nothing to do but drink coffee and eat brownies. I like this.

So, I shall tell you about my most recent adventure: buying a car.

It was a sad day when I determined it was time to retire the Civic. I had planned on driving that thing for 20 years and/or 200,000 miles, whichever came first. I made it to ten years and 118,000, so I got halfway there. Poor Ptery (Pterodactyl) arrived at the "it'd cost cost more to fix than the car's worth" point ten years early. Sigh. Some of it was wear and tear: she needed new brakes and rotors. Some of it was Honda's fault, such as the paint on the roof was cracking (they didn't fix it during the recall--they did the hood but not the roof). Some of it I had put off, like the screaming when she would start (hence, the name Pterodactyl). That would be a VERY expensive fix. I could easily live with the CD player that ate CDs or the broken center console arm rest or the rusted tire wheel things....

The tipping point? Last Saturday night when the wife looked absolutely terrified riding in my car.

We were returning from a gathering 30 or so miles from home. It involved country back roads and a whole lot of nothing for half of the trip. My brakes were making some pretty lovely noises during the travels. It was their way of saying, HEY! REPLACE US, BITCH! The noise had started earlier in the week, so I hadn't had time to schedule an appointment. I wasn't worried about it (who needs brakes?) but I could tell the wife was scared poopless.

I felt really bad but there was nothing to do but keep driving and take care of the issue during the next week.

In hindsight, I thank her for being worried. It got me to take action of which I've been putting off. I've been researching cars for awhile. Let's say a year or so. Just keeping my eyes open. Nothing in particular. Just prices and reviews and styles. The wife started saying I should consider getting a new car about three years ago. I suppose we should celebrate my dedication to my 20 year/200,000 mile plan.

Ptery was pretty beaten up. She had bumps and scrapes and dents and dings all complimenting her cracked roof paint. Ptery was a hard sell as she was a stick shift. (The wife would always say, "you're just one injury away from not being able to drive that car." How's that for motivation to get an automatic?) In the end, her fair market value hurt my heart. She wasn't worth the work she needed. I couldn't keep her as a "spare" car. She had to go.

I replaced her with a blue Mazda. To be honest, the only non-negotiable with a new car was that it had to be blue. I've never owned a blue car and have always wanted one. For the record, in order... I have had white, maroon, magenta, teal, silver (2), army green and gray cars/trucks. This does not count the car I still owe my parents for or the "extra" cars the wife and I shared.

Blue. It had to be blue. I love the deep, dark blue of my yet-to-be-named car. I could tell you about the car but why? All that matters is that it is blue and that it doesn't scream when I start it.

Well, and that the wife won't be terrified to ride in it.

And yes, I did get an automatic. That makes me sad but it had to happen. I've driven only stick shift cars since 1984. This will take time to adjust. Be warned--if you have to ride in my car, know that I will stomp with my left foot now and again as I break the habit of using the clutch.

So, here's to Ptery. May she scream loudly for someone who accepts her for who she is. I'm sad we didn't make it to my goal but we had a pretty good ride. You did good.

As for Blue, all I can say is zoom zoom. You've got some tough shoes to fill.
*********************************************





No comments:

Post a Comment