Saturday, February 25, 2017

Surreal Days, Surreal Ways

If you are overwhelming sick of political babbling from me or anyone else, ask yourself why and then feel free to skip to the second section of this blog entry. I'm ranting about something else there. Doesn't mean you'll like that ranting any better but remember: you always have freedom and options in the Addiverse.

Remember: If you find yourself in political banter of which you do not want to be a part of, you can always say, "Hey! How 'bout them Cubs?" and the conversation will gloriously morph toward the World Series Champs. 
Works like a charm. 
******************************************************************************
Article [I] Amendment 1 - Freedom of expression and religion) Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
*************************************************************************
Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong. If the White House holds a press conference and deliberately--VERY intentionally, very much in retaliation--keeps certain media agencies out, is that not against the First Amendment? 

Wait--maybe I don't want you to correct me if I'm wrong
. Because I'M NOT WRONG. Take that, Alt-right and alternative fact lovers. I have had enough of you.

Everything seems surreal these days.
There are times in the day that I stop in my tracks and shake my head, trying to figure out if what appears to be happening is really happening.... or, maybe I stop in my tracks because I've burst out into a hot flash and have to pause to remove my sweater. Hard to say.

I've been using BBC news as my go-to news media, as they seem to fall somewhere in the middle of left and right. Guess who didn't get invited to the table yesterday? That's right, the BBC. I assume they weren't allowed into the press conference because they actually tell the truth. The truth is a whole lot of terrible for a guy who gets all his data and facts from neo-nazis (watered down to Alt-right so it doesn't sound racist) outlets and the ever-biased Fox News, all while lounging in his robe, lonely and bitterly, in the WH. I considered maybe 45 didn't want the BBC to be in attendance because they are foreigners, but the New York Times, Washington Post, LA times and a few other media agencies were locked out, too... so, that can't be the reason.

I might have semi-overlooked this unconstitutional-but-not-surprising-in-this-regime retaliatory action but when I learned that Breibart News, The Washington Times and One America News Network were in attendance, I almost blew a withering ovary right out my girl parts. 

Seriously. Google those three "news" outlets. Your ovaries will be spitting angry, too.

This is not normal. This cannot be our new normal.
********************************************************************************
As for thoughts on mental illness, the issue of which I spoke about a few blogs ago continues. Suffice it to say it is almost surreal when listening to the people involved talk of mental illness. I hoped by now "we" wouldn't think of mental illness as those who are "psycho mass murderers." Having a mental illness isn't a weakness. And, yet the perception is that it is...a weakness, a failure, bad. People don't know what mental illness "is." Anxiety is fine.... it's not a mental illness.

What? Can you please say that again? Anxiety isn't a mental illness? The stigma and misconceptions in this particular situation is deafening. (By the time I'm off my mental health soap box, I'm going to need mental health treatment to resolve this anger. Or, maybe I need to eat more chocolate and talk about the Cubs.) As I said last time, I'm here to bust stigma--not judge. I feel awful for the family in question as they are laden in stigma. We in America really do a rotten job of educating people on mental illness.

Bear with me if I'm preaching to the choir here.

There seems to be a whole lot of confusion in regards to mental illness, both within the family facing a mental health crisis and in the general population. Let me openly acknowledge that when it comes to stigma, I'm all over busting it. To the stigma-laden, may I please educate thee:

Anxiety is a mental illness. It just doesn't sound as scary to hear "anxiety" as it is to hear you might have some "other" mental illness. Isn't easier to say, "I have anxiety" than "I have schizophrenia?" Of course it is. Anxiety is familiar. Anxiety is prevalent. Anxiety is understandable.

Say it with me: "Anxiety is a mental illness." It's okay. Really. Help me bust this stigma. 

"Anxiety Breakdown" is not an actual "thing" in the mental health world. I'm guessing that was a polite way for the family doctor to say "Nervous Breakdown." After all, having to tell a patient that he/she has mental illness isn't very fun. Doesn't telling the patient it was an "anxiety breakdown" sound more like "a touch of the flu" than anything scary? That's part of perpetuating stigma.

Problem is that "Nervous Breakdown" is technically not a diagnosis, either; rather, it is a description of symptoms related to the significant decompensation in mental health. Honestly, I'd bet dollar to donuts that we've all heard that someone has had a nervous breakdown. To me, it sounds like something that happened in the 1970's, leading to the rise of Valium. Stigma tells us "Nervous breakdown" is when someone completely falls apart--that's not mental illness.  

Side note: primary care physicians are usually NOT equipped to talk about mental illness. They probably had a short rotation through psychiatry while in med school and that was that. (Well, besides the education they get from drug reps. But, that's a whole 'nother topic.) So, call it a nervous breakdown and move along.

Delusional thinking can surface when someone is so anxious and so stressed that they literally lose touch with reality. Someone who believes that they are being followed, that people aren't who they say they are, that everyone is out to get them--they are experiencing psychosis. It doesn't mean it is a permanent way of thinking. It means right now the person is delusional. Stigma leads us to denying that a loved one can meet the criteria for psychosis. I can't blame them--it is brokenheartedly awful to see someone who happens to be delusional.

"Anxiety Psychosis" is a "real" thing, not that I'd ever use that term. A doctor telling a patient they have anxiety psychosis sounds REALLY scary and a whole lot like mental illness, so those words are not usually spoken. It's pointless to argue with a person with delusional thinking--after all, it's their reality. Stigma thwarts family efforts to accept this. 

It's okay. I'm not judging. I'm just asking for stigma busting.

Therapy is EXTREMELY helpful with anxiety. Therapy does mean you are weak or a loser or should've tried harder. It's an amazing tool to learn skills and help oneself. Why people remain so fearful of therapy, I do not know. People go to physical therapy all time time. What's the difference?

Anti-depressants are often used for persons with anxiety. They are not a quick fix but with time, such medication can work handsomely. A treatment provider calling an anti-depressant by some other name is being chicken. Anti-depressants can help reduce or potentially eliminate delusional thinking/psychosis because it is addressing the driving force--anxiety.

Remember, anxiety is a mental illness.

Anti-depressants have to be taken daily and for months on end. It is a long-acting med, taking three to six weeks to get to full "strength." It's not a med you can take now and then. It is not fast acting. As time goes on, the person feels less anxious, can think more clearly, gets back to daily living, no longer has false beliefs. it's important the person keeps taking the med, even when they are feeling great.

It is possible to have two mental health diagnoses at the same time (in this case, anxiety plus a personality disorder). It doesn't mean mental illness is twice as bad because there are two diagnoses. It means the person met the criteria for the illnesses. No matter how many "labels" are slapped on the patient (after all, they are "just" labels), the goal is to medicate the mental illness (anxiety, depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc) and get therapy for the personality disorder.

Families may play a role in the situation. Families don't want to hear this--after all, why would they? But, at times, the family plays a part and it's important the family recognizes its role in the issue. It's not good or bad. It's just factual. Ever watch an episode of "Intervention?" Then, you know what I'm talking about. The family system considers if they have a role in the issue. It's up to them to move forward...or not. 
I wish this family love, patience and understanding. 

I wish the person identified peace, health and recovery. 

I wish those in the world with mental illness acceptance and support. 

I wish for everyone a much less surreal world. 

I wish all of us to persist.

Nevertheless, we persist.
******************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment