Thursday, November 10, 2016

Ice Cream, Friendship and Bubbles of Love

I dedicate this entry to incredibly supportive friends & family of whom I can never thank enough. You are the rock stars of the Addiverse.

I've gone back and forth about this blog entry...

It would be super weird if I didn't write about the election. I mean, it's a pretty big deal and you know I'm all full of opinions and fervor when it comes to this kind of thing. Not spewing my feelings, profound thoughts and withholding general nondescript babbling might make you worry that I'm drunk in a corner or I've gone completely off the grid (and/or off the cliff).

Since you already can guess my reaction to the election, what more can I add to the conversation? (You might be a wee bit surprised about my political stance--I am a very bipartisan voter. Many a Republican should thank me.) You know what I'm chewing on in my busy little brain, so is writing about the election worthy of the electricity it takes to zap it across the world?

In a weird, happy and probably very healthy way, I don't want to write about the election. It is what it is. Oh, I suppose I can embrace it, ignore it, fret over it, celebrate it, scream about it but it still is what it is. What more can I add to the conversation? So, why write about it? Wouldn't you like to hear more about the World Series? Poop? The status of my still-not-replaced air bag in my Honda? Maybe some funny memes about Cheetos....

Let's face it....there is no way I can keep myself from writing something. The turning point? Reading the stuff about all the hate crimes which have transpired  in the last 24 hours. Pushed me right off the "won't write about it" ledge.
Not all the way off the ledge. I'm dangling. Just like participles in my blog entries. Dangling but hanging on.

So I don't lose my grip, let the words written here proclaim my willingness to do the very best to surround all the hate in a bubble of love.

Know that I will work to see the good in all people, just as I hope they will see the good in me. 

This is a tall order. After all, I've had some things happen in my life that make it hard not to get scared or riled up or distracted by what just transpired on a national level. I don't want to dwell on the past but every once in awhile, it whispers in me ear. I am deeply troubled by the hateful rhetoric and the immediate visceral, physical, hateful reactions being seen around our country.

It makes the whispering just that much louder.

But, that whispering doesn't have to lead to hatred. After all, if I'm in hatred, I am very much part of the issue. Instead of being hatred, I need to be love. I can hear those whispers and think, "not today, history. Not today."

I'm not over it. I'm certainly not done with it. I'm still angry about it. But, I can work with it. Let's just say I have a lot of work to do and a whole lot of brownies in a mug to eat. I can still hear that whispering and still feel that fear but it's a whole lot less painful when surrounded by the love of friends, family and self.

For the time being, I'll stick to the Weather Channel and NFL football. I'll enjoy the company and comfort of dear friends. I'll not peer into the future and worry about things of which may or may not transpire. I'll eat chocolate and ice cream and make gluten free dessert products in a mug. I'll scream the Serenity Prayer as often as needed. I'll talk about Carrie Underwood's legs. (How the hell does she walk around the stage in those high heels?) I'll order a gluten free pizza and eat the whole thing in one sitting. I'll feel what I feel in a most authentic manner, all while holding that mug cake in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.

I shall sprinkle myself with friendship, gratitude and humor. I will spend time with those people who can have a laugh and a cry in one conversation. I will be strong and loving at the same time. I'll do my best to focus on the good in those who oppose that in which I believe. It's gonna take a lot of ice cream, friendship and hugging. I won't believe what the whispers have to say. I will stand up for what I believe but I don't have to let it engulf my very being. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disgusted about this or that. It would be a lie if I said I wasn't incredulous. But, I can work with that.....

...and, I can work with this. I'll post one meme about the election. Just one. I can't help myself. I behaved all the way to the end of this post. That's gotta count for something. Hope you've seen this movie because this meme says it all....

heh heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment