Saturday, February 20, 2016

Saturday Slytherin-ly Slithering

It's Saturday, it's going to be sunny & 55 degrees and the wife is listening to Barry Manilow. Sums it up for me.

Time to randomly ramble and Slytherin-ly slither.

Yesterday, I wore my Slytherin sweatshirt to work. It's a souvenir to me, from me--purchased while at "Harry Potter World" (aka Universal Studios in Florida) during my time there in January. It looks exactly like the one to the left. Green with silver and a big ol' Slytherin-ly Slithering Snake. It's super comfortable, it's warm and it's a really fun shade of green. I love it...but, I forget that "muggles" do not know what this symbol or name or the colors could possibly mean. I forget that a big ol' snake might leave people flummoxed. I forget that my beloved green sweatshirt looks a wee bit....dark? Scary? Confusing? Like a tattoo gone wrong?

My guess is that most muggles think, "What the hell is that?"

(Those well versed in HP probably wonder, "Why Slytherin?" But, that's a long story for a different day. Suffice it to say Snape is a hero and it is an honor to celebrate that of which is related to him.)

During my Slytherin-clad employment antics, I stopped in to see the agency psychiatrist (for work, not personal reasons, sillies). As I walked in, his eyes widened and he got a very weird look on his face. Stymied, I looked left and right, then back at him. After all, he's usually happy to see me and we always take a few seconds to exchange pleasantries. That's when I noticed he was staring, mouth agape, at the snake on my sweatshirt. He exclaimed, "What IS that?" Once I figured out that he meant the snaked chest, I proudly exclaimed, "Oh! This is my Slytherin sweatshirt. It's a Harry Potter thing. I got it as a souvenir while on vacation. It's the symbol of one of the houses in Harry Potter."

Although that sounded mighty good in my head, this did not really help my cause, as the psychiatrist is a tried-and-true muggle, has probably never read a Harry Potter book or seen a HP movie and would never recognize a "house" from the world of wizards and witches. I probably sounded more psychotic than all the clients he was scheduled to see. As he is a very polite man, he gave me a nervously-short but polite-enough laugh and hesitantly responded, "Ah. I thought it was...I was wondering what... what you were wearing."

I took my Slytherining Snake out the door and didn't look back. Bet that gave him something to think about. Here's hoping he doesn't order an anti-psychotic for me.

As I left the office, I ran passed a client-in-waiting who exclaimed, "Slytherin! I love your sweatshirt!" I thanked him as I kept my feet a-churning. "Thanks! It's from Harry Potter World!" As I walked, he loudly posed the question, "would you rather go to Hogwarts or time travel in the TARDIS?" This question was not weird in any capacity. I called back, "Well, I would love to be a wizard and play quiddich but to time travel in the TARDIS with a time lord would be my first choice."

My answer was, obviously, audible to all the clients and staff awaiting their turn to see the psychiatrist. In the crowd, I hadn't notice one of the Directors standing there as I walked by. She called out from behind me,

"You know how weird that sounded, right?"

I could not disagree. I could only chuckle and keep moving. Most days, it's a fine line between staff and client.

And so, today I will once again wear my Slytherin sweatshirt. It is perfect for a 55 degree day, it is the perfect green for an almost-spring day and it makes me really happy....

....almost as happy as when the wife is listening to Barry Manilow. Trust me. That's happy.

The only way I could be happier today is if there were a Doctor Who marathon on the telly. Time travel always adds to the glory of a great day.
*********************************************************************






No comments:

Post a Comment