Monday, August 24, 2015

Of Comics and Costumes

Why is it that sometimes the "little blue wheel of death" spins counter-clockwise and sometimes it spins clock-wise? I thought it always spun in the counter-clockwise direction but this morning I noticed it was spinning clock-wise.

If you are wondering why I look at the little blue wheel of death, it's because I spend a lot of time waiting for web pages to load, especially when the computer is still firing up behind the scenes. Go ahead, watch the wheel and let me know which way it spins.

Yesterday, I went to the Chicago version of Comic Con. It's not as fabulous as the "real" Comic Con (held annually in San Diego), but it's a good time, nonetheless. Besides, Chicago is a lot closer to Rockford than San Diego. My question from that adventure is: Why on earth are the Power Rangers popular again? When did this happen? I saw more Green Power Rangers yesterday than any other cosplay. When I got home, I googled this green power ranger thing. A movie is set to come out in 2016 (or, 2017, depending to whom you listen), with the original Green Power Ranger (Tommy, in case you are wondering) set to be in the movie in one way or another. I guess that's pretty big news, especially for MMPR fans. I know nothing of this show.

I have no plans of becoming a Power Ranger fan....not even the green one.

Back to yesterday's Comic Con. It was as anticipated--full of costumers, er I mean cosplay, crowded, happy, nerdy, expensive, chock full of good-clean-fun. It's very much a family affair; after all, you can dress up the whole family as a set of characters from a favorite show. What kid doesn't like dressing up as a favorite super hero? (What nerdy adult doesn't like dressing up as a favorite super hero?) I highly suggest attending if (1) you are a sad and lonely Doctor Who fan with no one to talk to about the show; (2) You have a costume of some sort that you'd like to wear out of the house; (3) You are obsessed with one of the many shows now found at such events; (4) you want to meet/get an autograph/have a photo with a favorite star; and/or, (5) You actually read and collect comic books.

No, I did not dress up...but, I did wear my Doctor Who TARDIS t-shirt and my Time Lord sweat shirt, so close enough.

I can't say I read comic books. I feel a bit badly about that. There were TONS of comic books, comic book artists, comic book vendors. I felt slightly less nerdy because I don't read comic books, which is a bad thing when you are at Comic Con. You want to feel really nerdy because that means you are doing it correctly.

This year, I found myself standing near the tattoo area. Yes, you can get a tattoo while at Comic Con, with all the world to watch you in this endeavor. I'd guess there were 15 or more tattoo artists. I'm not sure if you had to get a Comic-Con related tattoo or not, but I'm guessing that's what people were doing. (It was kind of hard to see what tattoos were in progress, due to the angle of the recipients.)

Would I get a tattoo at Comic Con? Heck yeah!

Did I? No.

I did not see any Tina Belchers in the crowd, so that was a bit disappointing. Actually, I didn't see anyone from Bob's Burgers. I did see one Bart Simpson and a few Sterling Archers, so that was entertaining. (If you've never watched "Archer," you should watch one episode. You'll most likely be mortified. I'll deny I suggested it.) I saw lots of Doctor #11. I'm guessing that is because he's the easiest Doctor to "be," with that bow tie and fez. Personally, I'd rather see more old school doctors or at least Doctor #12, as I'm a bit tired of the easy-out fez cosplay--get creative, people! I did see one Osgood, so that made me very happy.

If I'm speaking a different language, just go with it. It's not often I get to babble with anyone who knows who Osgood is. I'm still in nerd mode.

Next year, I think I'll take the wife. She won't understand most of it, she'll be freaked out by some of it, she won't appreciate the majority of it....but, everyone should experience this type of event at least once in a life time.

(I will not suggest that the wife watch "Archer" as preparation for the event, as she most definitely won't enjoy it. I'll stick to Bob's Burgers and talking about Doctor who with her, even though she has only seen 1/2 an episode of Doctor Who and has no idea what I'm babbling about.)

Speaking of the wife, Fall is upon us and the wife has indeed returned to work. She is VERY stressed out, for many a differing reason. Suffice it to say, I shall do my best to behave and to not make a mess.  I'm putting off an update to Office 10, as if things go wrong, I'll be stressed and that will make the wife be even more stressed and we cannot have the wife becoming more stressed because her being will implode, which will make a mess of which I'm trying to avoid. I'd rather watch 100 episodes of the old-school Power Rangers than have the wife implode. (Yes, implode, not explode. I'm quite sure it will be an implosion.) I'll pray to St. Vince that the Packers have a great year and that Jordy Nelson has a complete recovery from his torn ACL, which will help lower her stress level. I'll speak in terms of football, not cosplay--that should help ease her being....

...although, I think it'd be more helpful if I keep my glass on a coaster, take my shoes off every time I come in the house and not leave a trail of "stuff" as I move about the living quarters.

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

If that doesn't help, I'll just sit quietly on the couch and turn up the volume as I watch my Doctor Who episodes on my tablet. That and I'll silently stare at the little blue wheel of death, no matter which way it spins.

Here's to Christmas break.
****************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment