Sunday, March 08, 2015

Pinning the Two-headed FB Monster

Great news! Freckles has stopped her morning barking. She has finished training us and thus no longer needs to bark. She seems to have stopped her search for Lucy, too so all is a bit less stressful in the addiverse.

Photo....A bit of sacrilege in honor of the approaching Easter holiday. I'd say I'm sorry but I'm not. I'm still laughing about this meme.

My plan to save myself from book de la face doom didn't exactly go as planned. The goal was to deactivate my account for an unspecified length of time and get my freedom back. Too much time had been wasted perusing the feed. So, I sent out an email to those who I thought might need to know I was walking away from the time-sucking entity, deactivated my account and walked away. I knew that I could re-activate it without issue when the time came.

As soon as I got to the kitchen table, I realized I needed the book of face for church. I'm an administrator of our group page and it's one way the church communicates. We're so forward thinking, aren't we? Anyway, I thought about this and decided that having a "church facebook profile" would suffice. I figured it would be easy enough to set up a new account and limit it to church people.

Oh, what a fool I am. Oh, all the time I did waste.  

It took hours to get things right. Hours. So much for saving time.

Because I had de-activated my original profile before making a new church profile, I couldn't make myself the administrator for the church group, which meant I couldn't do what I needed to do. Duh. It took a lot of brain power to figure that out. I then had to make a profile, complete with name which would let church people know it was me but make it hard for the world to figure out it was me. After all, if I started gathering non-church people, it would defeat the purpose of the new church being that I was about to become. Then, I noticed all the photos I had posted via my original FB profile were now gone but my name was not. So, people could still "see" me but not the photos, which was a bit disconcerting to me. Try as I might, I couldn't get my name to go away. I thought about blocking myself from myself but realized that wouldn't work because everyone else would still see me. Even removing myself from the group didn't work. All in all, it was a much bigger ordeal than I had imagined. Worse, I accidentally deleted myself as administrator right after I had made myself an administrator.
Side note: Thank God Madge was okay during her tumble at the Brits. As I am in the same age group as Madonna, I shall not make jokes about broken hips or anything age-related like that. Respect your elders, people! Side side note: Madonna is going on tour this fall. There is no doubt I will be there. Time to be saving pennies.  Back to the topic at hand.

It took a week of nonsense before I finally gave up and re-activated my original account, sans 500 people. By lightening my load by 500, it made my profile much more manageable. The only problem? Now, I have TWO Facebook accounts. Two. Twice the fun? No, twice the pain in the ass.

I changed my name on the original profile, thinking this would keep people from finding me once I unfriended them and that this would solve my church page dilemma. I didn't want to change it too much, though, lest those I wanted as friends think it wasn't me. I figured changing the name would make my stuff "disappear" off the church page, which would be a huge bonus. Of course not. All it did was change the name on the church page. So much for that idea.

I am embarrassed to admit how much time I've wasted on updating that reactivated page. Talk about brain cells being consumed, never to be seen again. It's almost as bad as the Apple cult. Getting out is a lot harder than one would imagine. In fact, I'm still working on this endeavor. I accidentally un-administered myself AGAIN from the church group while trying to delete my original profile from the church (God knows I don't need two profiles in one group). Dang, I deleted the wrong one, leaving me unable to add myself OR delete the wrong profile.

The result of my endeavors? Instead of making my life less complicated and saving myself lots of time, I created a two-headed monster.

The good news is that it is MUCH easier to navigate my "real" profile and it's nice to have all the church stuff in a church place. The bad news is that I'm always signing in and out of the two accounts. I flip-flopped sign-in stuff (emails and passwords) so this ends up being quite the entertaining task. It may be easy to teach oneself to use a mouse with the left hand but it is not easy to have a 50-something brain flip-flop passwords. I could flip-flop them back, but that hurts my head even more.

The worst part of the endeavor? I found myself wasting time on Pinterest. Lots of time. Obscene amounts of time. The time freed without Facebook was filled with time seeking pins on Doctor Who and other nerdy things. Funny animals. Sassy comments. Inappropriate memes.

Think there is a pin that says, "I'm addicted to the Internet and my life is definitely unmanageable?"  I'd go take a gander but I've got to go check both my Facebook accounts.
*******************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment