Thursday, March 01, 2012

I'm Hungry

Only 22 more days to the release of that Hungry Movie!  The title image for the Addiverse at this time pays tribute to the book and pending movie.  (Hungry people: Notice I used the word tribute.) For those of you who are not in the know, there is a trilogy of books about the future where people play in an Olympics-type annual game...where all of the 24 contestants ends up dead except the victor.   Yum!

I know, I know, it's VERY dark, so it's really surprising that I agreed to read the books.  If it hadn't been Three Hawk and Argo Warrior Princess making the referral, I probably would have passed.  I'm all about happy, laughing, smiley books and movies.  I don't want serious, sad, depressing, pained, dark movies or books.  I mean, Harry Potter is about as dark as I'm willing to go and that's a stretch.  I want feel-good or really, really no-brainer stupid, sophomoric entertainment.  (And, no dying dogs.  I do not under any circumstance watch movies where the dogs get sick, injured or die. You could offer me $100,000 and I wouldn't watch.  Okay, for $1,000,000 I'll watch that Marley dog movie but not for one penny less.)

If you haven't read the Hungry books, I suggest that you give them a try.  Just make sure you have strong anti-depressants in the house.  I loved the books. LOVED.  I hear they were designed for teens but I'm thinking this is pretty dark stuff for eighth graders and they certainly didn't read like "young adult" books.   Since I already told you that the game requires 23 of the 24 players (tributes, as they are called) are gonna end up dead, you can imagine that there can't be a very happy ending in the works. 

It could be worse--all 24 could have to end up dead. 

I am a bit concerned about the movie, as movies NEVER do justice to the books.  Part of me is concerned that they will water down the movie to the point the story is lost--part of the beauty is the angst and seriousness and grunge of the the whole thing. Another part of me is worried about how they are going to depict all this death and pain in a way that doesn't make movie goers want to slit their wrists or get schnookered on the way home. Yet another part of me is worried the actors won't do the story justice.  I mean, I have a very specific imagine of how the characters look in my mind's eye.  I am a very visual person, so I have a very detailed vision of what the towns and people and game locations look like.....the movie is bound to be way different.  I have to suspend any preconceived notions I have so I can enjoy the movie.  What if the star is too wimpy, too clean, too nice, too pretty, too soft? What if the drunk isn't drunk enough?  Let it go, I tell myself.

That said, I am psyched about the approaching movie release.  I plan on being there opening day and I'm saving up my calories so I can eat sickening amounts of popcorn.  I've read the trilogy twice through and I'm thinking I should give them one more run before opening day.  I'm not sure the wife wants anything to do with this movie, so I'll have to drag MJagger with me.  She liked the books so I figure she'll be great company.  Although we can't go together on opening day, I will also go see the movie with Argo and Three Hawk (I don't mind seeing movies twice, especially when it gives me the chance to experience the film with fans of the book).

Read the books.  And, may the odds be ever in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment