Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hungry Gaming---Yum!

First of all, I need your help: If you have NOT read the Hunger Games books yet but plan to see the movie, please DO NOT read them before going to see the movie.  I am looking for someone to give me a non-book perspective of the movie. I thought the movie rocked, but I'm wondering if (a) the movie makes sense if you haven't read the books; (b) you thought the movie was good despite not reading the books; and, (c) the movie has the same emotional impact that it has on the book-reading viewers.

That said, there are no spoilers here, so everyone feel free to continue reading, whether or not you plan to read the book or see the movie.


I decided to go see the Hungry Gaming movie on opening day in IMAX.  I took four hours of vacation time, secured a ticket on-line from Fan-tastic-do and zipped toward the theater.  Water bottle and protein bar hidden for sneak-in snack, I pull into the parking lot.  Now, weekday theatre in our town is never busy, even on opening days, even for really big movies (even all those vampire movies have never been crowded), so I wasn't too worried about the event.....but, I did not anticipate what I saw before me....


As I am driving in, I notice FOUR giant yellow school buses lined up right in front of the entrance. Four!  Four buses with a bazillion middle schoolers pouring out of them.  Pouring! Stunned (with mouth literally dropped open), I park the car, try not to drop the water bottle hidden in my sleeve and head toward the entrance.


It is no exaggeration when I say the entire lobby was filled with middle schoolers.  They engulfed the place.  I couldn't even see the front of the concession stand.  I got my ticket from the kiosk and meandered toward the usher taking tickets.  I look at her as I had her my ticket and say, "Please tell me these kids are NOT going to the IMAX show."

A lady standing near my laughed.  She said she had just asked the same thing. The usher assured me the kids were not in the IMAX theatre and that they had several theaters to the opposite side of the showplace.  The usher also pointed out that there was a special line at the concession stand for people not with the school group.  I found this to be genius.

As for the movie, here's what I have to say:  (No spoilers, so do not be afraid.)  
(1) I thought the movie was quite true to the book.  Of course, they had to change some things, cut out characters, shorten interactions.  I was very pleased by this and feel they captured the essence and story of the book.
(2) I was quite surprised how I embraced the actors and actresses in their roles.  Reading a book, you imagine your "own" characters.  I had been disappointed when I saw the casting--those actors didn't look like I had imagined.  Yet, once the film got rolling, it all made sense.  I have to give the casting director credit.
(3) It did not seem long at all.  I never once looked at my watch (or, my cell phone--the younger generation doesn't look at watches) nor did I get antsy.  Time flew by.  I guess the movie is about 2.5 hours long.  I wouldn't have guessed that.  I would have guessed two hours, which is a compliment to the movie.
(4) Whoever came up with the idea of having Cinnabons available at the concession stand is a GENIUS.  Dear god, there is nothing better than the wafting of cinnabons and popcorn as you are standing in line waiting to get in the theater.  (Well, I suppose if they threw in there chocolate chip cookies baking, that would be the perfect trifecta.) I ate a Cinnabon and I don't ever eat them when I'm at the mall nor would I buy them to bring them home.  I couldn't say no--the aroma was too tempting.  It was six bucks for that puppy and worth every penny.  Sweet and salty is also a genius combination.  Damn you, theater owners!
(5) Bring your kleenex.  There are two scenes that I found gut-wrenching, even though I knew they were coming and I knew what was going to transpire.  I am wondering, though, if the scenes were so powerful because I read the book or because they were powerful on their own.  That's why I need to find a non-book reading viewer--to know if the scenes were as powerful for you as they were for me.  The scenes were quite true to the book and yet they still enveloped me in angst.  I did not have Kleenex, as I am not the crying-in-a-movie type of grrrrrl.  I had to use my sweatshirt sleeve, which is disgusting but worked.
(6) I will gladly go see the movie again.  Probably two times more.  The incredible scenery of North Carolina alone is enough to make me go see it again.
(7)  I know what I am going to be for Halloween and it's not Katniss. I will leave that to MJagger. She's got the look--dark hair in a braid and leather boots make her a shoo-in.  I have plans which include a lot of blue.  'Nuf said.
(8) I think that school deserves a medal.  They had everything organized. Everything! Good job by the school and by the theater. I'm still contemplating how I feel in regards to a bunch of middle schoolers seeing this movie as part of a field trip.  Alas, I'm just old and crusty when I use that kind of thinking.
(9) I am NOT looking forward to the third movie, as that book is so dark and so painful that I'm not sure I can deal with it.  Ugh, to think about putting all that in a movie!
(10) Go see it in IMAX if you can.  I know, I know--it's just another scam to make more money and movies are already expensive enough....but, all that beautiful scenery is begging to be enjoyed.  I'm sure it will be just fine on the smaller screen, but it really is worth it, at least IMHO.  It's kinda like Avatar--it was great in 2-D and still incredibly enjoyable, but seeing it in 3-D took it to a whole 'nother level.

That said, go see the movie.  If you didn't read the book and go see the movie, you have GOT to tell me what you thought.  See the movie and.....may the odds be ever in your favor, especially when Cinnabons and popcorn are involved.

1 comment:

  1. Well WTF -- I want the same answers as you!! I actually thought to bring kleenex, and I'm glad I did. Also, I'm not sure I can sit through the 3rd movie either. Yikes. I read your blog in spurts and it always brightens my day. I think HG the movie was great, but also a little bit of a swing and a miss as far as capturing the political corruption and that whole absolute power corrupts absolutely thing. And I wanted Peta to be the blond intern guy from Bones, cuz that's who I pictured. The rest worked OK for me though, for the most part. I was surprised at how much I liked Woody as Hamich (sp?)!! K. Bye now. (Paula)

    ReplyDelete