Friday, December 02, 2011

ICU-TV

We seem to have an eye theme going on in the Addiverse.  My mom is having cataract surgery as I type.  The wife had a dream last night about not being able to see....and, it is definitely time for her to get some "readers" or "cheaters," 'cause she can't read small print anymore.  Just two weeks ago she went to the doctor (I almost typed "went to the vet," because that's where we spend most of our free time) for what appeared to be pink eye, but it turned out to be some inflammation of the eyelid issue. She went out and purchased a giant-ass TV on Cyber Monday, mainly because neither of us can see our wimpy-ass little TV screen any more.  We all know about the booger-encrusted-one-eyed-wonder Freckles has come to be.  We have eye drops, eye ointments and eye washes all around the house. The coating on my lenses is mysterious corroding (I don't know what else to call it) and I am in need of a pair of new glasses myself.

What IS it we don't want to see?

I ask that question in serious fashion.  I've been reading a lot of Louise Hay lately and that is something she would ask me if she were standing in front of me.  I hope I'd see her if she were  standing there. 

You know I love a good visual (pun intended), so I'm including this photo of me from the mid 1990's when I got hit in the face with a softball and ended up making a pulpous, bloody mess out of my eye.  (Don't you wonder why I have photos like this and how I know where to find them immediately upon need?) Actually, the ball made a mess of my face, not technically me....although, I'm the one who wasn't paying attention before the game started and thus got a softball to the face while standing in the coaching box.  Got me some stitches, a pair of irreparable glasses and a completely red-filled eye.  It did make my hazel eye look that much more green and colorful--kind of like a Christmas eye.

Trust me when I say there is a whole long story that goes with the injury.  Readers Digest version: I got hit in the face with the softball, fell to the ground in a bloody mess, heard the wife's feet charging toward me (my knight in shining armor!), hear the wife exclaim something about seeing blood, hear the wife charge quickly away from  me, leaving me in a bloody mess, lying on the ground.  The team got me off the field, blood still pouring out of my head (head injuries ALWAYS bleed a lot, look really dramatic when in reality is not that bad) and put me in my car...and made the wife drive me to the ER.  As she was completely panic stricken (she HATES blood), I had to tell her how to get to the ER because she couldn't remember.  My team mates showed up just a few minutes later, mostly to give direction to the ER doctor and staff (I kid you not).  I'm lucky the ER doctor didn't purposefully poke my eye out with all those questions and directives.

I am pleased to report a full recovery was enjoyed and a new pair of glasses was secured. I always love to get a new pair of glasses but that's not exactly the way I want to have to get them.  

But, I digress.

Let's move on to the new TV.  Now I shouldn't be telling you we're getting a new TV, because what if you are a burglar looking for a new TV to steal and sell? We haven't had to worry about burglars up to this point because our TV is from the early 1990's--anyone peering in our window to case the joint would take one look at that TV and immediately move along.  Besides, they'd get a hernia trying to carry the thing out the door.  We don't need an alarm system-we keep the shades open so burglars can get a good look at what we don't have.  Now, we'll have to shut the blinds (huh--blinds....fits right in the theme).  

I don't know much of anything about TVs.  I know they keep getting bigger while getting thinner.  There is no such thing as a little TV anymore.  Well, maybe for your kitchen or small bedroom, but otherwise they seem to be big as a wall.  The wife purchased a giant TV.  It scares me--I'm not sure we need anything remotely that big or that expensive.  (The vet bills this year still cost more than the fancy TV, so that should put things in perspective.) The wife has really good taste, so you know this is a kick-ass TV.  I'm sure we'll be able to see it just fine.  Heck, I think you'll be able to see it from across the street. There's no buying some Cyber-Monday cheapo appliance when it comes to the wife making such a purchase.  The wife goes for the gold and then works out a deal.  Salesmen tremble in her presence.  She goes to the store armed and dangerous.  They don't even try to scam her....they usually say something like, "wow, you seem to know what you're talking about" and leave it at that.  They just smile and nod, and they don't smile that much.  Suffice it to say, the wife terrified a young man, worked out a deal and made the purchase.
 
I'm more of a book reader than a TV watcher but I'm sure I'll become quite the TV fan, especially when watching all those Xena DVDs and pro football games.  Nothing looks better on the big screen than Xena or a football game. I couldn't care less that it comes with all sorts of things like blu-ray and 3-D, but I do love the idea that we can stream movies from the Internet and that we can do computer things on the big screen.  Make me some popcorn and fire up the screen--I'm settling in for the night!

We've learned that getting a new TV in this day and age is rather complicated.  The entertainment center and all the crap on it needs to go (huh! do they still have entertainment centers and are they called that?), a new piece of what is sure to be expensive furniture will have to take its place, the wall will need to be painted (after all, that huge entertainment center has been plopped there since 1995), the TV will need to be installed, complete with a gazillion wires and cables. What happened to opening the box and plugging it in?    I'm sure it will take both of our master's degrees and some anti-psychotic medications for us to get this puppy fired up.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I think some photos may need to be taken so I can share them with you--er, I mean document this event.

Until the TV arrives, I'm off to chase Freckles so I could put her eye ointment in, I'm going to call my eye doctor & set up an appointment, I'm going to call my mom to see how her eye surgery went and I'm going to surprise the wife with a pair of cheaters from the local drug store.  If that doesn't say "exciting Friday," I don't know what does.  We'll SEE what this day has to offer.....until then, eye see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment