Sunday, November 27, 2011

That's a Mouthful
We continue our efforts to break Lucy, Bark of Poteidaia, of her dental-decaying habit.  While many of you were out pepper-spraying or shooting at each other on Black Friday, we were home trying to rid Lucy of her life-long oral fixation. This is not going well.  She falls asleep, I gently pry the toy out of her mouth.  She promptly wakes up, goes and gets another toy.  Repeat three times.  I give up before she does.  It's not like I can explain the Binky Fairy is coming to take the nook away.  This is hardcore.  This makes Black Friday shopping look like child's play.

Since it's not looking promising in the habit-breaking department, I've been on line all morning seeking doggie dental products that may be of use.  The good news is the concoction for drinking water that cost me $32 at the vet is only $16 on line-- Score! I just cut my cost in half.  (The hardest part with the water-drinking stuff is training the wife--she is ALWAYS changing the dog water....I have to break her of this, as she is throwing away my chemicals!)  I'm considering tooth-brushing options, drinking-water-based solutions, special bones, special treats, special whatever it takes.  As part of my endeavor, I've been reading reviews about various doggie dental-related products, some of which gave me pause--why do some of the drinking water products feature ingredients that are considered poisonous to dogs?  Why do others basically feature bleach? The price was enticing and the promises enthralling, but I decided to skip those options--I've spent enough all ready, don't need to purposefully poison the pups.

Wonder if I could floss her teeth?  (I'm having a visual.)

As for the one-eyed wonder, she is getting used to me chasing her around at least five times a day stuffing one product or another into her eye. I must say, the eye boogers are looking much better.  Maybe it's because I'm getting more medicine IN her eye instead of everywhere else besides in her eye.  My secret?  First, I explained to her that we will be doing this for the rest of her life so she might as well just go with it.  She's smarter than most 5th graders, so she understood this. Secondly, I went on line and watched videos about how to put eye medication in a dog.  Made me much more efficient and confident. She still doesn't like it--after all, what's to like about having some goop-gel-gunk put in your eye by some half-wit human? I give her a lot of credit--she doesn't run away and she doesn't wiggle when I do my best to get the medicine right the first time. She's still blind but the meds make life a whole lot better for her.  I know Santa is watching and will bring her some extra-special toys...she earned them this year.

I'm off to find Cyber Monday sales on doggie dental and canine eyeball products after I make sure Lucy isn't napping with a toy in her mouth......

......ooooh, I see someone is not looking very happy about me coming toward her...this is NOT a staged photo!  I see she's got an assortment of toys close at hand....I know she's saying, "Go ahead, take one--I've got plenty more from where those came from, bitch." Oh my. Those glowing eyes say it all:



STOP.MESSING.WITH.MY.TOYS!

I think I'll stick to on-line shopping and step away from the dentally-challenged pup for now.......

No comments:

Post a Comment