Thursday, November 10, 2011

Just the Tooth

I am a bad, bad, bad, bad mama.

I have been complaining about how bad Lucy, Bark of Poteidaia's breath has been lately but really didn't think much about it, especially since she saw the vet two weeks ago for her annual check-up.  The vet and I talked about the doggie dentist and I had decided to get Lucy's teeth cleaned next February--it's Doggie Dental Month, featuring 10% discount.  Lucy got a clean bill of health, unlike her money pit sister. 

That same day, she developed a sore under her eye--looked like she had been scratching a bug bite or something and managed to give herself quite the yucky sore.  (If you look at the photo, you can see the black blob of matted hair.  Yum.)  For two weeks, I've watched it ooze and bleed and god knows what else. I've slept on the couch while holding her so she wouldn't scratch at it.  I've tried to cut the matted yuckies out of her moustache but wasn't very successful.  I tried to keep it clean but it's been rather futile.  She hasn't missed a meal, has been snarfing down treats, didn't seem in pain except when I'd try and touch it, but....

...I decided it might be getting infected (or, at least had the potential of developing an infection), so I called the vet and set up an appointment.  Amazingly, they were able to get me right in.

Well, well, well.  Here's where the bad mama part comes in.

All I wanted was for the vet to remove the muck, check for infection and fix her right up.  I never thought it was anything more than an infected scratch or some freakish bug bite (kinda like the ones I had on my butt many a month ago). The vet tech welcomes the dogs (yes, Freckles was along--they actually love going to the vet and I always take them both, no matter the reason--might as well let Money Pit #1 enjoy a stress free trip to the vet), takes a look, looks a wee bit perplexed....

I can tell there is something wrong, even though she is very casual about things....she tells me the vet will be right in....and leaves me to stare wonderingly at the Bark of Poteidaia.

Dr. Dog comes in, picks up Lucy, gives her a kiss and without missing a beat says to the vet tech, "Well! What do you think?"  The vet tech nods--they look directly at each other, nodding.  Dr. Dog turns to me, calls me over to the exam table and says, much to my surprise:

"That's not a scratch.  That's her tooth."

HER TOOTH!   

Dear god, my dog's tooth is sticking OUT OF HER FACE!  I am a BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD MAMA!  MY DOG HAS A TOOTH ROOT STICKING OUT OF HER FACE AND I DIDN'T KNOW IT!

Seems her root got infected, which per the vet is quite common in such dogs, and the oozing and icky part is part of the root basically sticking out of her face.  Dr. Dog opened Lucy's mouth and showed me her gums and mouth.  Oh.my.goodness. No wonder her breath has been so disgusting.  I should take a photo of those gums, abscesses and what nots.

Geez, so much for my five years in the dental field.  In my defense, I guess most people don't have teeth sticking out of their faces....into their sinuses, yes.  I've seen teeth roots weasel their way into sinus cavities.  Out of their cheeks or eye orb, no.

Bad mama.

And, so Money Pit # 2 needs to have dental surgery.  There's no other real option that I can figure.  It's not like she can walk around with a tooth root sticking out of her face while the abscess ooooozes every which way. She'll be on pain meds and antibiotics for the next few days and then it's off to have some major dental work.  Figures it's the biggest tooth in her mouth.  The vet tech handed me the estimate.  She looked almost apologetic.  I wasn't surprised at all.....

....because the cost of the surgery will be almost exactly equal to the bonus I am scheduled to get at work in two weeks.

The Universe works that way.  It's actually genius.  Talk about being grateful about getting a bonus.  It's a tough gig out there, with no raises to be had for almost everyone I know, so I've been tickled pink to know a bit of cold, hard cash is coming my way.  A little bonus at the holidays is very appreciated by me.  And now, I appreciate it even more.

Some people might be very bitter that their bonus is about to go into a dog's mouth for doggie dental surgery. Not me.  I may be a bad, bad, bad mama but I am a very appreciative one--I'm all good with spending the money I wouldn't usually have on some dog-related expense.   The Universe gave me just what I needed.

As long as they give me the tooth to keep and I still have a few bucks to buy a new pair of shoes, I'll be all good with it.

************************************************************
P.S. Oh, and to the Universe: Let's be clear.  The vet mentioned that it is not uncommon for this to happen on BOTH sides of the mouth--when it happens to one, it often happens later to the other side.  This will NOT be happening.  Not at all.  I have total faith in you,in Lucy and in me that this will not be happening.  Thank you for your consideration.
*************************************************************
Surgery is set for 11/16/11.  Will keep you posted!  Happy 11/11/11. 

No comments:

Post a Comment