Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Gimme S'more

Tonight, I am going camping--of which I am not a fan--my idea of camping is staying at a three star hotel with no amenities. Camping is for young people or drunk people or really, really sporty people.  While I love nature and love being outside and looking for birds, I am not fond of roughing it in some humid-soggy-fied tent, putting on dew-dampened clothes while swatting bugs away from me. I love roasting marshmellows (which I give to someone else to eat), like to eat marshmellow-less S'Mores, sitting by the campfire, going for nature walks... but, I'm no fan of peeing in the woods or being far away from sources of electricity. To give you an idea of how long it's been since I actually went camping, here is a photo of me camping in 1987: 


Sums it up, don't you think?

As further evidence of how long it's been since I went camping, here is a photo of a camp-site mate from my last known outing, with her dog, Spot.  In case you are wondering, Spot is invisible. 

I told you: camping is best left to the young, the drunk and the brave.  I'll let you decide which one of those things Spot's owner is.

I do so miss the '80s.

I hope she wasn't using that bucket to pee in.  (Actually, I think it's Spot's water bowl, but it's hard to tell.)

I still am rather incredulous that I agreed to camping with anyone, let alone some guys from where I work--guys who are thankfully big fans of camping-- and just happen to be chronically mentally ill. 

I tell you that only because it has the potential to add to the fun, not as means of a novelty.  I adore the guys with which I work and certainly have no fears beyond fears related directly to camping.  The guys will be fine.  I hope they will take good care of me.

Their plans include fishing all day, fishing all night, roasting Twinkies (who thinks to do that?), eating S'mores until their heads explode.  They'll have tents in case they do decide it would be nice to get an hour or two of sleep. Normal, everyday camping.  Me? I plan on eating marshmellow-less S'mores, staying up late, looking for electricity, not drinking any form of liquid (don't want to use the outhouse more than necessary) and sleeping in my car.  If I find electricity, I'll be on line or working on my computer.  If I don't, I'll weep softly in my car.

Although I tell myself I will be sleeping and weeping in my car, I know better.  These guys will stay up all night, which means I'll be staying up all night. They will talk the night away and probably not catch any fish.  That's not the point of fishing, anyways.  To them, just having the opportunity to do something "normal" will be all they need.  For that, I am grateful.  Just the opportunity to "give" them such a small gift means much to me. 

Tomorrow, I will be tired and crabby, as I will have been up all night watching four guys fish.  Four guys who just want to be seen as "normal."  If only they knew how really normal they are and how those without mental illness really are not.

Do you think there will be any electrical sources near the shore so I can play on my computer while they fish?

No comments:

Post a Comment