Saturday, January 29, 2011

Terror at the Double D

I can't breathe! I can't breathe!

Now, I know you are waiting to hear about the wife and I want to tell you about the wife but I am too distraught to write about the wife.....because....

I just learned the three Dunkin' Donuts in town are CLOSED and FOR SALE!!

I can't breathe!  Someone get me a paper bag!  

MJagger texted me this morning with the news.  There was no warning, just the closing.  In my disbelief, I got in my car and drove promptly to "my" DD.  Gasp!  The windows were papered and there was a hand written sign indicating nothing more than "We are closed."

I can barely write any of this.  I am getting woozy.  WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO MOVE!!

As it is my M.O. to post my angst on Book de la Face, my peeps shed light on the subject, educating me that three of the business are indeed for sale, only $129,000 for the three locations.  As this seems like way too good of a price to be true, I figure the asking price does not include franchise costs, debts or other such dribble.  (Just ask Wild Mama about franchise opportunities.  She'll set you straight.)

In case you are in the market to own a few DD businesses in town, here's what the web has to say:
This is a network chain of 3 Dunkin' Donuts Stores. The stores are fully staffed and equipped with many upgrades. The equipment is in very good working condition. The stores offer great earning potential, well established loyal customers and a great community. The owner of the Company operates this Chain Absentee, and has an excellent management staff in place. Dunkin' Donuts is the largest coffee and baked goods chain in the world and sells more coffee, donuts and bagels than any other quick service restaurant in America. Two stores started operations in 2003 and One in 2008. Mismanaged Operation because of family circumstances. Currently netting 9.9% of gross sales (before debt service) but because of mismanagement, foodcost is not being controlled- too much wasteage. rent is under 10% payroll is controlled. clear potential to net 13-15%
I love the phrase "mismanaged operation because of family circumstances."  I also like the word "wasteage."  I don't know if that's actually a word but I like it.

I am a little calmer knowing that this might be temporary, but still.......

As for the wife, thank you for asking.  She is off of the floor, kinda-sorta upright at times, but still scooting around in a painful ball of angst.  She has been up and down the stairs with only some crawling, so that's good, too.  There has been no attempt at leaving the house, so she has not seen a doctor, chiropractor, acupuncturist, massage therapist, bartender, pharmacist, herbalist, healer, midwife, Reiki master or shaman.  I am hoping she will pick one or two of those professionals and at least have an MRI to make sure she didn't blow out a disk. She thinks she will be able to go to work on Monday, but she will be hunched over, won't be able to carry a thing, will need a driver to get her to/from work and a lot of medication to keep from bursting into tears while teaching classes. I am already looking at my schedule trying how I can get her to/from school. 

As part of my effort to add to the wife's healing, I will go to church tomorrow and get the prayer circle going.  You gotta love when you go to a church that asks the Universe for things and then delivers the goods.  I know the prayers shooting out of that place will have the wife sprinting down the block in no time.  You also gotta love a church where you get to wear your team's colors (as evidenced here) and where the Master Pastor Reiki says, "Go Pack" instead of "Amen" at the closing of the service.  Seriously.

As for taking care of the "bigger picture," my hope is that the wife see a holistic healer in addition to any traditional medical help she might seek.  This problem must be addressed or it will keep coming back, and I know I don't want to see this again.  It's awful to watch and I'm absolutely sure it's much, much, much worse to experience.  I don't care if it's acupuncture, energy work, whatever....I think this needs to be a double whammy.  Like the Double D's of Dunkin Donuts....sometimes you need two of one.

Of course, the wife might want to wait to take such action until AFTER the Super Bowl, because the angst and tension and all consuming anxiety will negate any medical treatment she secures.  The Super Bowl is serious business.  I better stock up on a cocktail of pain killers, muscle relaxers, Diet Coke from the Golden Arches and bread-like carbohydrate products of all kinds to keep her in shape for the game.

I'd write more but I have to go see about buying a franchise of donut shops........

No comments:

Post a Comment