Saturday, January 15, 2011

A House Divided

Before I speak of the house divided, let me just say that I received MORE OB TAMPONS in the MAIL!!!  Five little bullets of love found their way to my mailbox early this week.  I was smitten!  Lest you think I am being inundated with ob ultra Tampons from strangers, let me assure you I am not--although I am not averse to that--these, as well as the first mailing, are from school chums of olden days.  The first mailing was from a high school friend, while this bundle of five from a college friend.  I am indubitably indebted to both.  (The rest of you peeps, take note: they have set a pretty high bar.  Don't let that stop you from sending ob Ultra tampons my way.  Just know that you have your work cut out for you.  Remember, I will drive extraordinary lengths to pick up any ultra ob tampons you might have--road trip!)

The five tampons were accompanied by this hand-written note:

'I can't think of something suitable to say in a personal note. "Enjoy" seems a little too personal; "Good Luck" lacking in confidence.  Have a nice day!'

Suffice it to say, I didn't just have a nice day--I had a GREAT day!  Thank you, Tampon-sharer of the East.

I'm pacing myself when using the ob Ultras as once they are gone, they are gone.  One tampon day at a time.

Now, to the house divided.

As you know, the wife is one of the hugest Packer fans on the planet, out-ranked only by members of her immediate family.  Remember, this is the family who burst into tears when a new player caught his first Packer touchdown.  This is serious business to them.   This is the family that changes the time of the Thanksgiving meal to work around the Packer schedule.  This is the family who wears Packer regalia to any and all functions.  This is the family whose moods are dictated by the win or loss by their beloved green and gold.  Suffice it to say, when one is faced with an entire--and, I do mean 100%--in law side of Packer fans, one must make a choice......survival, safety, love, treason.

I was born a Bears fan--after all, I am from the Chicago-land.  I don't think I know any Chi-town people who are anything but Bear fans in some way or another.  Oh, I've loved the Oakland Raiders for the duration (for various reasons over the passing seasons), but I believe deep down inside it is my birthright & heritage to sport orange and blue.  That said.....

I am a Packer Fan by obligation.  Well, I suppose I should say choice, but it is more out of being a smart grrrrl and dedicated spouse.  As noted above, I have no allies on the wife's side of the family.  Every single one of them lives north of the Cheddar Curtain.  One.Hundred.Percent.  There is no wavering of love or passion for the Packers.  Good or bad, the Pack holds all the cards.

Call it obligation.  I call it smart.....safety....survival.....and, of course, love. 

If my willingness to wear green and gold doesn't scream of love, I don't know what does.

Don't get me wrong.  I have really enjoyed outings to Lambeau Field.  I have enjoyed Packer banter.  I have enjoyed wearing the wife's Packer coat.  I'm basically a football whore.  I love football.  But, it is still treason. I am a marked woman when I return to my land of birth.

This weekend, both the Packers and Bears are playing in the playoffs....thankfully, they are not each other.  As wrong as it might sound, I want BOTH teams to win.  Trust me, I have my motivations.....

...the wife will be in a MUCH better mood for the duration of the weekend if the Pack win;
...it will be fun to have two victories in the division;
...it means the Packers and Bears will meet next week for the NFC championship and the right to go to the superbowl.

If those two teams playing each other for the right to go to the Super bowl doesn't light up this house divided, nothing will.

Can't wait  to see what colors I'll be wearing next week.
********************************************************

2 comments:

  1. LOL! You're welcome.
    Don't read what I had to say about football...and definitely don't tell you know who!!! (But I'm not bitter...) I plugged you in my sad clown post, btw. Did you feel the fame?

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did get this sign from i want one

    ReplyDelete