Thursday, August 26, 2010

Something New to Chew On


I did not intend on writing about our little yeasty beasty, Freckles Warrior Princess, but the smell emanating from her body and the scratching sound of her little nails prompted me to tell you that it is that time of year again: I wallow through ragweed and Freckles wallows through skin infections. It must be fall! I'll be calling the vet tomorrow to score some anti biotics for the poor thing. She is one smelly mess. (Warning to the parental units: she's not contagious but she is smelly. She doesn't look so hot, either so be kind and empathetic.) If you look back at the past few years, you'd see that this is now an annual event for our beloved canine. She looks miserable--I don't think it's as bad as previous years but it certainly is bothering the wife, which means it is bothering me. At least medication seems to take care of the issue. 

I did not intend on writing about the Packers, but there is a pre-season Packer game on, so that means the wife is very engrossed and verbal and focused on one thing.....well, two things: (1) green; and, (2) Gold. She often sputters words of hate toward a certain purple number four, followed by praise for a green-clad number 12. I love, love, love football season. I'm not sure if the wife loves or hates it. Gaybor Garden Grrrl wanted to help me surprise the wife with Packer tickets for the wife's birthday--Garden Grrrl has worldly connections and obviously knows the wife well--so, she found and purchased tickets for a home game on the wife's birthday....we planned to keep it a surprise. Well, imagine how surprised I was when the wife announced she had asked for--and had been given--tickets via her brother Tommy Hilfiger. I wanted to poke my eyes out. The wife asked me why I had such a yucky look on my face while she was telling me how she got the tickets via her brother. I told her about the surprise. Sigh. She pooped on my Packer Parade. I hope the Gaybors have an interest in the game, cuz I'll be taking them along!

What I had planned on writing about was the Universe. It's been toying with me, for what reason I do not know. I need to figure this out as the Universe tends to send me louder and louder messages until I grasp the concept presented before me.


I consider myself to be a champion of the underdog, crusader for equity, fighter for the forsaken, a person who seeks fairness & justice for all, especially those with disadvantage. Just ask the wife--she'll confirm my passion for ensuring everyone has a fair shake--she still remembers my tirade during an intramural volleyball game in college because I thought it was unfair the volleyball team was crushing (and, I do mean crushing) a poor, unskilled, "thought-intramurals-were-for-fun" dorm team....and, that was 25 or 30 years ago. I am a royal pain in the ass when it comes to this. In the Addiverse, everyone deserves a fair shake.....call me intolerant of intolerance. (That's pretty funny, don't you think??)

I have loudly and emotionally and proudly fought to make sure we're all equal in all corners of the Addiverse. I fight the good fight!

You should probably call me naive.

Imagine my surprise when I was tagged for racial discrimination at the place of which I do not speak.

This was such a foreign concert to me that I was beyond incredulous--at first, it didn't even register on my scale--it was like someone was speaking a foreign language when they told me about the issue. Once it did register, I was beside myself. This was the last thing I would ever want to do or be part of.....I was sick. I have been fighting this very thing as long as I can remember and it turns around and bites me right in the big patooty. My heart hurt. Heck, my soul hurt.

It's funny how you don't really know what to do when something like this surfaces. I took a big look at the Universe and once again exclaimed out loud: "ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME?!" What does one do or say? How does one react? Me.....I stood there with my mouth hanging wide open. Call me naive, call me whatever you want....but, please don't call me a racist.

Turns out the issue at hand that led to the accusation had literally nothing to do with race or ethnicity. (That is good and bad, depending how you look at it. I'm just glad it ended up all good for the moment.) I thank god that it ended up better than not....the potential for it to get ugly was certainly there....but, it still left me stunned and hurt and confused. I'm not sure what to "do" with this event. As it is a completely new, foreign experience, I am not sure what I might learn from it. I don't know how to digest it, to categorize it, to file it.

I guess I am going to have to chew on it.

Until I get my answer(s) from the Universe why this event was presented to me, I am going to focus on the smelly dog, the Packer tickets and bikini-clad beauty queens. The rest, I'll chalk it up as something new to chew on.

I gotta get me some new gum.
****************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment