Friday, June 11, 2010

Time in New England

Our vacation adventures with Dos Marias started at a frenetic pace and haven't stopped since. I was a little leery about how the trip was going to go when it started with the O'Hare security confiscating the wife's hair care products. Oops. I forgot to tell her that they would be going through her carry-on bag and that there was a limit of liquids she could bring on the plane. If you know the wife and her need for hair care products and if you know the wife's taste in hair care products (read: expensive), you know this was not a happy moment. I had no idea she had that much crap--er, I mean bottles filled with liquid--in her carry-on. Suffice it to say that it was with great disdain that she said adios to her Aveda and other hair-survival products. In addition to the expensive, real-sized bottles, she also has a billion little bottles of samples from all the places we've been in the bag--the security lady educated the wife on the limits for liquids but didn't take them away, as I think she knew the wife was already suicidal and thus had a shred of pity about the little bottles.

Note to self: remember to tell wife about rules of flying. At least she knew to take off her shoes.



The flight was fabulous and before we knew it, we were on the ground, in the arms of Dos Marias. Cue the "Time in New England" music. Dos Marias live in a beautiful house on many acres of land somewhere in very north-central Connecticut. It is an absolutely gorgeous place with spectacular view. (Have I mentioned that we are ever-so-grateful to these two fine friends? There are no finer people on the planet than Dos Marias.) Lots of green, lush, softly-rolling hills (mountains?), small-town, colonial feel. Delicious!

The wife had never been to New York City, so it was fun to take the train to Grand Central Station and tourist around Time Square. We did a little of everything, from strolling Central Park to riding the subway, from visiting the Empire State Building to enjoying the Metropolitan Art Museum. We even squeezed a taxi ride in there, which made the trip complete. What is a visit to NYC without a taxi ride? Although it rained the entire first day in NYC, it did not dampen our experience or our spirits. After all, a little healing rain must fall into one's life. We just popped out the three umbrellas Dos Marias had wisely packed (um, three umbrellas, four people....the wife was "odd man out" as she had a windbreaker with her...and a hat....she had to fend for herself). I ate some fafalel or however you spell/say it and the wife had a traditional NYC hot dog (which did not agree with her and returned quite quickly). We stayed a "W," probably our most favorite hotel chain on the planet. Dos Marias ROCK! For some reason, my inner compass has been on the fritz and thus I had us going in circles or the opposite direction for part of the day, map be damned.

To end our NYC adventure, we stopped in New Haven, CT for a vegetarian dream dinner. Dos Marias did their research and found this amazing restaurant that was completely vegetarian. I was in hog heaven, no pun intended. I wanted to weep when looking at the menu. I started my meal with a vegan chocolate cupcake and it only got better from there...in fact, it was so delicious that I didn't want to leave and I thought about buying a few extra meals to bring home with us. There is nothing like this restaurant where we live. Nothing. (Heck, I'm not sure there are even vegetarians where we live.) Everything was vegetarian (or vegan) and home-made. The choices were incredible. The prices were reasonable. Ten stars. I give it ten stars out of ten.

Today's adventures will include shopping (no buying of liquids in bottles for the wife), hiking, eating and hooking-up-a-router-wireless-connection (into every vacation a little "work" must fall). Tomorrow is the wedding, so we are very excited. I can't wait to stroll the grounds of Amherst College once again.

Since I've finally figured out how to upload photos from my cell phone to Book de la Face and since Dos Marias have graciously allowed me ample time on their computer, I haven't had many moments of withdrawal. Don't think I haven't had moments of worry regarding Madge, my Book de la Face dog. (Who will feed her?) As for work....

....work? What's that? No thoughts of that until this moment of realizing I had not thought of work. What a wonderful vacation this really is.....

No comments:

Post a Comment