Friday, June 04, 2010


Tell Us, Tiny Talus

Regular readers know Pastor Master Reiki and Blue Eyes are dear, dear friends. Those of you just joining us in the Addiverse don't know this, but that's okay. You'll have to trust me they are delightful people.

Dearest Pastor Master had surgery on her talus bone early this week--a bone that I didn't even know existed until she started talking about it.  In order to educate myself, I surfed around...if you want learn more about the talus bone, here you go. (This information is gleaned from www.drmyerson.com (nerds click here)

"The talus is a critical bone of the ankle joint. It connects the leg and the foot. The talus is involved in multiple planes of movement. It joins the ankle joint and is responsible for the upward and downward movement of the ankle. In addition, it joins the heel bone where it is responsible for the majority of the inward and outward movement of the foot. Injuries of the talus may therefore effect both the ankle and subtalar joint and affect multiple planes of movement of the foot and ankle.
"

Who knew?

Where was my brain during anatomical drawing class? Obviously nowhere near the talus bone.

If it were "just" a broken talus bone, I think Pastor Master Reiki would be dancing on tables by now. Unfortunately, she has been faced with "Avascular necrosis of the talus," which according to the websites of the world "can be quite devastating." Yeah, that necrosis word means "dying," as in
"oh my, my talus bone is dying," which is not a good thing at all. So, Pastor Master had few choices--dead talus is a bad talus--she had a procedure where the surgeon drilled holes in her talus (from the same website as above):
"Drilling of the talus....creating a hole with either a drill or a device that looks like a kitchen tool used to core an apple, that we can increase the blood supply to the talus. The drilling creates little holes and channels that allow tiny little blood vessels to grow and improve the blood supply to the talus."

Yum.

As you can imagine, this does not lead to much fun at all; in fact, I would guess having your hemorrhoids removed with garden shears would be more fun.

Right now, PMR is recovering on the couch (and I'm typing on her computer. Big help I am). I wanted to show you how creative and inventive she is--she experiences great pain when her foot "drops" down....so, she is using exercise tubing to keep her foot arched. What a woman! I'm sure it is an even bigger help that I am taking photos of this while she churns in pain. (I promise you more photos as the healing progresses.)

Happy, healing thoughts are deeply appreciated at this time. Even if you only have a shred of belief, please picture the tiny talus healthy, whole, healing. In the mean time, be nice to your tiny talus. You're gonna need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment