Thursday, January 21, 2010

Leaving on a Jet...Propeller?....Plane

Well, it's that time of year in the Addiverse when planning a summer vacation sounds like a grand idea. Since Dos Marias have now moved to Connecticut and since Suzuki DeFranco Little Ori are getting married in Massachusetts this summer, it seems like a no-brainer that we'd head east for our vacation. I checked with Dos Marias--they're in. I requested the time off at work--that was approved. I triple checked the wedding date--got it. I went on line and took a peek at airline availability for Hartford via American....

....uh oh. Little Plane!

Let me define little plane: 50 seats. That's small enough to get my attention. After all, I'm a 757 kind of girl.

Boys and girls, I am not one to choose a small plane when there are giant planes to be had. The photo here kinda-sorta shows what plane I'm talking about. I am pretty sure the one we'd take would have jet engines, not propellers, but I'm not exactly sure yet.

The Last time (and only time that I recall) I flew on a small plane is when we were Dos Marias in Puerto Rico. We flew from the main island to Vieques on the teeniest, weeniest little plane...the four of us and the pilot (who was like 12 years old and had his shirt unbuttoned down to his navel). Why, look--I have a photo of that infamous plane.

...Nothing like flying on a plane where they weigh everyone and weigh their luggage and where take off is delayed because there is a dog on the runway.

The flight to/from Vieques went swimmingly, but it was only a few minutes long.....flying to Hartford would be like two hours long. I'm not sure if I have the constitution to fly two hours on a 50 seater plane. When I asked Dos Marias about this, they suggested that it would be "fun" albeit loud. Hmm. Not reassuring. At least there wouldn't be any dogs on the runway in Hartford.

I thought it might just be American's issue with the small plane, but oh no--several internet searches have shown me that small planes--okay, technically they are jets--fly from O'Hare to Hartford. Dang!

I sense an adventure in the making.

I did figure out that if I want a big plane (i.e. 757), we could fly to Miami and then transfer to Hartford. Go figure. Seems like a long way out of the way to get a big plane, eh?

I'll keep you up to date on our vacation-planning. After the Mexi-louis vacation last year, I figure the travel gods will look kindly upon us and let everything go "right" with this summer trip. Until then, I'm gonna keep looking for a big plane without flying across country out of the way to get where we are going.

P.S. We're Recruiting!

(Here's a P.S. blog entry I never thought I'd be writing....)


Historically, it has often been suggested that gay people spent inordinate amounts of time recruiting straight people to join the sinful homosexual lifestyle. After all, this is how we get our toaster ovens. (Forget it if you don't get that joke--just go with it and know you won't be getting a toaster oven. One more for me, I guess.)

I personally have never recruited any of my straight friends to join the fun....

....well, not that I remember.

I don't have a toaster oven, so I think my claim is safe. Besides, I don't have time to waste on recruiting anyone. Lucy Lawless is in a new show and I have to spend my free time getting ready for this event. Someone else can do the recruiting and win the toaster ovens.

I digress.

I've decided it is my Christian, saintly, holy obligation to recruit straight people for my church of choice.
Yes, yes, you read that right: I am recruiting old fashioned-yet-liberally-minded heterosexuals to attend the Addichurch.

Please note: this my OWN personal campaign and in no way implies that the church of choice is a gay church or that only gay people go there or that only gay people are welcomed or that I don't want any new gaybies to come join the fun or that anyone else in the congregation remotely feels the same way that I do about this "issue." The Addichurch features a delightful, eclectic mix of fine, upstanding citizens....it's just that the "odds" appear to be getting a bit stacked against the heteros and it's making me nervous. I am all about equity & balance.

So, if any of you straight peep looking for a new church or fresh approach to your belief system, consider my recruiting efforts.
***You get a gift bag on the first day you attend;
***it's a wonderful group of people;
***it's casual enough that I wear my jeans to church and not worry one iota about it;
***no one will try to "save" you (you are fine just the way you are);
***no one will condemn you or throw bibles at you;
***there are a lot of really nice gay people there, so you'll be able to say "some of my best friends are gay."

If you want a gift bag (and not a toaster oven), join us at the church--bring I.D. proving your straightness--wedding photos, marriage certificate, divorce papers, testimony from current partner, prom photos, etc....

....oh wait a minute--I have wedding photos, marriage certificate, divorce papers and prom photos. Dang......

No comments:

Post a Comment