Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Here, Piggy Piggy


Here we are, sitting with our tickets to Mexico, awaiting word from the powers that be--is it or is it not safe to vacation in Mexico? The US Government suggests that it is not; our Mexican resort suggest that it's just fine. Is the Piggy Flu a true medical problem or is in the Media hyping hysteria on the global scale? Should I or should start shaving my toe hair or should I just skip it for now?

The wife and I are basically in Vacation Limbo--it's like we're in the landing pattern of O'Hare and there is not much you can do until you get clearance to land. Most of the time, I laugh about the whole thing. Who books a trip to Mexico and then has to contemplate the pros and cons of going on a trip because of a possible pandemic involving swine? At other times, I mutter obscenities at the Media, as this 24-hours-a-day instant news access has created quite the monster. I pass on a piece of chocolate while thinking of wearing a bikini; the next day, I eat seven extra pieces of chocolate in frustration.

It's been a very interesting process. Only one person has "voted" that the wife and I should go on our trip as scheduled. Everyone else--and, the numbers are vast--have very loudly & passionately "voted" that we should not go. Me? It's way out of my hands--I have to just sit and wait. Talk about a lesson in powerlessness. The Travel company has our money and they ain't gonna hand it back. Since it's a few weeks away, the company hasn't made any announcements yet......

Sit.

Wait.

Tick.

Tock.

Oink!

Actually, I haven't been very hysterical about it. It is what it is. I only have momentarily lapses into hysteria, usually involving thoughts of not being able to get back IN to the country or being quarantined once home; after all, I work with a frail population (if I did speak of work, I would speak of this, but since I don't, I say nothing) and I'm not sure anyone is gonna be happy to see me come back to work after being to the land of certain pork doom. I may be religated to remain in my office, mask on face, gloves on hands, anti-bacterial lotion slatered all over me.

When I start to feel a micro-bit of hysteria, I think about how we are truly a global society... and that if this swine flu thing is as big as they seem to suggest it is, I'm thinking it's already all over the globe and it certainly must already be where I am at this moment....so, what's the difference if I'm on my couch or on a beach in Mexico? We travel the globe, get sneezed on by other germy travelers. You can be on one side of the globe in the morning and on the other side on the same day. How do you stop germs from traveling in such a small world?

All we can do is wait. I have no energy to argue with the travel agent, so we'll wait until the word comes out on the Internet. I can't make the government say we can or cannot go. All we can do is wait and....

......tell you to cover your mouth when you cough and cover your nose when you sneeze.

*************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment