Monday, March 02, 2009

Random Thoughts on a Monday Evening

My Adam's Apple and my nose have healed, thanks for asking.
Most people, when leaving for work, are told by the spouse, "Have a nice day." With me, the wife says, "try not to get hurt today."

In the "I told you so" department (scroll back a few blog entries), Rhianna has returned to her abuser. Ah, the cycle of abuse is sooooo powerful. I wish I had been wrong, but....I didn't spend all that money on a master's degree in the counseling field for nothing.

Score! I scored my first Bible today. Well, not my first Bible in my life---my first Bible from a co-worker. I won't say much because I don't talk about my job but if I did I would tell you that it was inevitable that I would be bestowed such a gift. Trust me on that. You might think it's really inappropriate to get a Bible handed you at work; you might think that's the greatest thing you've ever heard about happening on a job. Me? I'll have to get back to you on that. I'm going to chat with the Universe tonight and I'll let you know. I have to say I've never received a Bible at work before.....

Malaak Rocks! Today, I was invited to hear Malaak Compton Rock speak at a local fundraiser/award ceremony. Now, if you're like me, you are thinking, "Malaak who?" (No offense to her, of course--I'm just being honest and had to google her to learn more about her, her causes, her history.) Some of you may know her from Oprah's Big Give show (she was one of the judges). Others of you may know her as Chris Rock's wife (although I'm not big on knowing someone as "his wife"). Maybe you've heard her name on CNN for her UNICEF efforts. Whether you know her or not, I am here to tell you she is an awesome speaker with enough inspiration to fill a banquet hall three times over. I'd try and tell you about it but I'd rather you go to her website (e-village) at angelrockproject She made me want to run out and save the planet or doing something more profound than watching reality TV.

On a lighter note, I'd like to point out that the banquet people forgot to feed me while at this event. Really. I was sitting there, eating my salad and somehow, they served everyone else at my table their main course, but didn't give me mine--they kept moving and never came back our way. I suppose since it was a giant chunk of chicken, it was probably a blessing in disguise. I focused on the the dessert that was already on the table and got a bite to eat on the way back to the office. It actually made me laugh. Those of you who've been out to eat with me know that I have some bad food karma at banquests....I am ALWAYS the last to be served or they totally forget me and I have to chase the servers down or they just bring me a big o' slab of meat and let me deal with it. Then, I get to eat after everyone else is already done. The tribulations of the vegetarian way of being, I suppose.

A final random note: I was un-friended this weekend on Book de la Face. Those on FB already know this as I've been whining about it. As it was yet again an unfriending by a person who happens to be a fundamental, evangelical, conservative being in the Christianity department, this makes my head hurt. THEY asked to be my friend, not the other way around. I send them a note that literally says, "are you SURE you want to be my friend?" and give them an out, but they always say "of course I want to be your friend!" Then, they read my profile, look at the postings and go screaming toward the unfriend button. At first, it gets my goat; but, after awhile (and after listening to Madonna's "Hard Candy" and gorging myself on chocolate and being distracted by the wife), I get over it. I can't prove that my profile was the problem, anyways....and, there are worse things in the world than being unfriended; Malaak helped me remember that. Besides, I hear there is fair trade chocolate to be purchased, so I have to get on it!

Of course, this begs the question: If the person that gave me the Bible unfriends me, do I have to give the Bible back?

No comments:

Post a Comment