Saturday, February 07, 2009

Oh my achin'......

Knee.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have re-injured my once-cured-by-my-beloved-lady chiropractor knee....

...while doing "the Cupid Shuffle" last night at my job-that-I-do-not-speak-about holiday party. It's a very, very easy group dance, as illustrated above. (I've also included a link below to a YouTube video of the Cupid Shuffle in action. You can check it out if you don't recognize the dance or if you want to learn how to shuffle in your own home. Side note: Um, I don't know if it's a clean version or not--I believe it is--you have been warned.)

Perhaps it was a subliminal means of seeing my beloved lady chiropractor (MBLC) more often, but I believe it to be more of a "that was a stupid move" moment while dancing with the younger crowd than that. After all, I am trying to build up my funds now that I don't have to see her three times a week.

I'm seated at my kitchen table, ice wrapped around knee, feeling old and stupid. Once I am able to walk again without a limp, I will get beyond these feelings and will stick to doing walking tapes with Leslie Sansone.

Actually, I can't help it. I love to dance. (Don't tell anyone.) I am by no means a good dancer; in fact, I'm probably a pretty bad dancer. I am a funny dancer. But, I love to dance. As a drummer, I can hear the rhythm in anything they play, which adds to my ability to at least stay on the beat. To make sure there is no confusion here, I am talking about fun dancing, not serious dancing. Cupid-Shuffle-Electric-Slide-Stomp-group kind of dancing.

I am all about the "Cupid Shuffle." To the left, to the left....

I was shuffling along with the group when I made an exaggerated move and---YIKES! Searing pain thru the knee. I mean the kind that takes your breathe away. Think I stopped dancing? Of course not. Pride kept me going to the left, to the left. Once the music stopped, I limped (hopefully not too noticeably) to my table.

Of course, following this dance with "Stomp" and the "how low can you go?" multiplied both my stupidity and my pain. If I had ibuprofen and ice at the table, I would have used both. If I drank, I would have made it a double.

The wife was at home, so she missed this act of stupidity. She was smart enough not to come to the party as I was on the welcoming committee and doing some MC work and thus was not at the table much at all. As this is a new job (of which I do not speak), she really doesn't know anyone yet. How fun would that be to sit with a bunch of strangers while your other half is busy doing obnoxious things? Not very. All she knew is that I came home relatively early, went straight to the freezer and put ice on my knee.

So, the question is: do I once again invest oodles of money into having MBLC fix my knee? I really am in no mood to drop that kind of money again; yet, it worked last time to end the pain, so I assume it would work once again this time. Baby needs a new pair of glasses, some pants that fit and some new gym shoes--impossible purchases if I utilize MBLC three times a week for three weeks. My glasses have these little mysterious chunks out of them and I think it looks pretty tacky; besides, I need new lens so I can see MBLC more clearly when I do return for treatment.

Speaking of pants, I went to the store yesterday to buy a one-size-bigger pair of black dress pants. (No, not to wear to the work party--they are to wear to work now that my other ones no longer fit.) I've decided the problem is due to age & changing hormones, added to the sitting-at-the-desk job spread, not food consumption or lack of exercise on my part. It's all right there in the hips-thighs-pooch-butt line of action. Dr. Northrup concurs that our bodies change as we age and although I am not one bit happy about it, it is what it is. Finding pants that are looser in this "department" was a god-send. No more straight legged pants for this girl. Who knew they make pants for women that are designated as looser in the hip area? I took some one-size larger pants into the fitting room, bit the bullet, got over it and moved on to some pants that did fit. I'll just have to ignore the labels and focus on how much better and much more comfortable the pants are.

I am feeling good about myself once again and am ready to face normal middle age spread. Bring it on, your naughty changing hormones! I shall not fear you--I shall embrace you!

Well, it's time to remove the ice so I'll stop babbling here. Go put on your dancing shoes, turn up the volume on your computer and start doing the Cupid Shuffle. You can't have a bad day when dancing....even with knee pain. To the left, to the left!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExC1oGN5J28

No comments:

Post a Comment