Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Countdown to Madonna

Big-ass disclaimer: This photo is from madonna.com, from the "icon " fan club department. I do not want to go to jail for posting it, so I make no claim to the picture except that it is from the madonna site. I really like the photo and it's only a few measly days til MJagger and I will be with Madge at her concert, so why not share this beautiful photo with you, my beloved readers?

Who needs to worry about the global economy or the crashing stock market or the presidential race or even the pain in my left knee when there is Madonna to be had?

Those of you who have followed the 2008 Madonna Saga know that this is one big event in the Addiverse. In fact, Madonna concerts are right up there with Xena conventions, and you KNOW that is big. (Side note: it is literally my one year anniversary of having my photo taken with Lucy Lawless at the Chicago Xena convention. I am all a-glow just thinking about that. I live a charmed life!) Some of you are way over the whole addiverse-madonna thing, but I am going to ignore you (just as I am ignoring the pain in my knee) and I am going to enjoy this gluttonous ride.

Interestingly (or not), the October 27th concert is NOT sold out. Most of her Madge-esty's other concerts are sold out, so I'm not quite sure what's up with this particular date. Are Chicagoans adverse to going to concerts on a Monday night? Is there a Monday night Chicago Bears football game? (We KNOW there aren't any CUBS games.) To me, it's good that it's not sold out, as it will give me and MJagger increased odds of getting closer to the stage. Of course, it may sell out by show time and then all my plotting will be for naught. No matter. I feel a sneak to the front in my future!

MJagger and I have yet to decide on our wardrobe for the evening. My Jillian-enhanced glute-o-rama makes me not want to wear jeans but I don't exactly want to wear sweat pants or dress pants, so I'm leaning toward shorts, no matter what the weather. With all that dancing, I'll be a sweaty mess and shorts will come in handy. MJagger may also opt for this, although she might go with some capri-length Victory Secret sweat pants (and those don't really qualify as sweat pants in my department). No matter what, I'll be wearing gym shoes. If I've learned nothing else over the past 98 days, I've learned that dress shoes are really, really hard on my "bad" knee; thus, no fancy shoes will be strutted by me at the concert. I love Madonna but I don't love her enough to cause physical pain to myself. (Um, let me really think about that. Maybe I do love her enough to struggle through a bit of physical pain.....no. No pain for Madonna. Lucy Lawless, yes. Madonna, not so much.)

I was going to design us some t-shirts but missed the deadline for the contest (I looked at the rules on October 6th and learned the contest ended October 6th) and besides, MJagger said I couldn't use any glitter in the process and I love glitter. I thought about ordering us some t-shirts from the fan club (yes, we are members--stop laughing) as this would be much cheaper than buying shirts at the contest, but I'm not sure they'd get here in time and that would be a real bummer if they didn't. Besides, I don't know what color MJagger's sweats are so how can I order her a shirt? You can't clash your t-shirt with your sweats.

Now that I know Madonna is finally in the United States, I have been listening to Madonna non-stop. This week is the "Confessions" CD. After that, it's "Hard Candy" until the cows come home. I've also been wearing my "Drowned World Tour" T-shirt and my "Iconers do it better" t-shirt to bed and/or around the house. (I'd wear these items to work but it wouldn't be appropriate and wouldn't match my dress shoes but I can't say any more about that as I've told you: I do not speak of my work.)

MJagger and I haven't really had time to share excitement about the concert, as she is dealing with stressful things (seriously--I'm not being a smart ass here) and Madonna is not on the top of her priority list just quite yet. Oh, it'll move up the list but for right now, Esther is going to have to wait a bit. I can wait. Besides, it'll give me more time to figure out what I am going to wear. If Madonna can live through eight costume changes a night, I can figure out one appropriate outfit for concert going.

I've read a couple of reviews--most say that Madge is not the best singer but she is by far the best entertainer--and I'm all good with that. She is a goddess and I don't care about perfect pitch. You don't go to a Madonna concert for the singing. You go to be transported/transformed by the event. It's performance art. The lady is 50 years old and has been performing for 25 years and she blows me right out of the water. I could weep at her concerts! The only thing I haven't figured out is why Madonna included that spanish island song AGAIN. We KNEW she would do it. That damn song is in every concert and neither MJagger or I are even remotely fond of it. There must be some huge significance to her since it is literally in every show she's designed. No lo se!

So, get ready for lots of shallow babbling from this Madonna whore. It's not quite a Xena convention but it's something. I'm ready to get into the groove....and, (how can I resist?) to get sticky and sweet.



(Hey! I didn't name the tour! She did!)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:16 AM

    I wouldn't say a Madonna concert is the equivalent to a X:WP convention (she's just okay. I like Janet better! Speaking of, I hope she gets better soon. She hasn't toured in so long). I am extremely jealous you met Lucy :(

    ReplyDelete