Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Candy Overload

I can't tell you how I got these "illustrations" from last night's Chicago Sticky & Sweet Madonna concert
and I'll deny everything if asked about it....but trust me when I tell you that these really ARE photos from the 10/27/08 concert. I did NOT take the photos but wish I had. I profess my love and gratitude to the photographer for sharing his/her photos.

Disclaimer to Madonna and Live Nation: Please allow this humble blogger of no real consequence to post these photos. I only have like 12 readers, so it's not like you're losing any income because of me. You make more money farting one time than I make in an entire DECADE. Besides, I really, really like you and promise to not post these photos anywhere but here, on my wallpaper, on my cell phone, on the network server and in mass emailings. Ha ha.

Now, on to painfully long rantings about the concert. Just go along with it. Admit it....you want to know how it went....


In the wardrobe department, I decided to wear my "Re-invention Tour" t-shirt, along with khaki pants and my Harley boots. Not very original or exciting or innovative, but it worked for me, allowed me to be warm without being hot, gave me the room to move. It also worked for all those naughty grrrls walking by, giving me the knowing eye.

There is nothing more fun than a Madonna concert, if not only because of the gay guys' shoes. Those boys know how to work a pair of shoes. I found myself jealous on more than one occasion about a shoe or two. And pairs of shoes there were, as there are always four zillion gay boys at Madonna concerts. It makes for a very festive environment, indeed.

By the way, a beer is almost $9.00 at the United Center. NINE DOLLARS. Not that I purchased one. First of all, I don't drink. Second of all, I am WAY too cheap to spend nine bucks on a Budweiser.

I was very happy with my seat, so that was good--no, GREAT--news after all that ridiculous ticket trauma of the past five months. I did end up sitting by myself, which was fine with me because it meant I had more room to dance.......

...............and, dance I did! Even fell over backwards one time when hopping up and down. Scared the poo out of the people behind me. I just got up and started hopping again.

Madonna likes when people hop up and down. What's not to like?

Here is Madge as she opens the show. Candy overload! Before we got to this point, the crowd was BLASTED from their seats by the excruciatingly loud volume of music blaring/pumping/screaming/pulsing/POUNDING out of the speakers. The bass probably left me sterile from being so loud. Usually, I would have been thinking, "where are my earplugs?" But, the sound was so crisp and delicious that I could only enjoy the ensuing pain.

How loud was it?

It was so loud that my pants were vibrating. I'm not exaggerating. I looked down and could literally see my pant legs moving to the beat. Now, THAT'S loud. In addition to being loud, it was a visual overload of candy, candy, candy---pinks and purples, swirling and flying, suckers and hard candy.....I cannot do the imagery any justice in some stupid blog entry. The visuals in the show were absolutely, positively amazing...in fact, I think I like the various visual aspects of the concert best of all.
If you look behind Ms. M, you can see some of the candy flying by...but, by this point, who the hell is looking at the candy?
WE
ARE
LOOKING
AT
MADONNA!


The Mighty Madge marched right down the runway and right to where I was sitting. She was ready to party, dance, sing, tease, demand. Yes, she came to the end of the runway, danced a little dance....and, that's when I was like,

"What is UP with THOSE cheekbones?"

I'm all about the rock hard, sculptured thighs and I can get past the uber-defined arms, but the cheekbones! Madge, you look like a skeleton! (Albeit a beautiful, well preserved skeleton.)

The concert, in case you are seeking details, opened with "Candyshop," followed by "Beat Goes On," "Human Nature," Vogue" and "Into the Groove." Now, those are some of my favorite Ms. Ciccone songs, so I was naturally quite delighted. (Um, like I wouldn't have been delighted no matter what. Of course I was friggin' delighted. But, I really do gave an affinity for Human Nature, Vogue has such history of the dance bar era and Into the Groove is an 80's mantra for me. You go, material grrrl!)

In many respects, it is impossible to report what songs were actually included or performed as she "sampled" many songs in parts of other songs....so, when I report on the set list, I'm not really doing that justice, either. For instance, "Rain" is not included in the set list but parts of the song were sampled, as well as was Annie Lennox "Here Comes the Rain Again" but neither song was complete in itself or even remotely a song in itself.Always arriving in style, Madonna rolled right along through the night. Tasty!

If you really want to take a gander at those arms, look at the next two photos. If you need a closer look, click on the photos and they will become "bigger" for your viewing pleasure. I think I could draw blood from those veins from where I am sitting right now. I'm not messing with her. And yes, she is jump-roping. I guess dancing and singing for two plus hours isn't enough of a work-out...might as well skip some rope.For Madonna nerds, here's the rest of the set list: Heartbeat; Borderline; She's Not Me; Music; Devil Wouldn't Recognize You; Spanish Lessons; Miles Away; La Isla Bonita (AGAIN! What is up with that?!!!); You Must Love Me; 4 Minutes; Like a Prayer; Ray of Light; Hung Up; and, Give it to Me.

Right now, I'm too pooped to write clearly about the concert experience; after all, I only got five hours of sleep and I'm a grrrrl that needs eight hours or I'm a crabby patty. So, I'll pace myself and write about the concert over the next few blog entries.....

I'll end this entry by saying I thought the Best song of the night was...... "Borderline." I can't even I'm saying this. I wasn't a big "Borderline" fan back when Madonna was coming onto the music scene and I never was one much for the video and I usually skip over it when listening to the Immaculate Collection....but this rendition--the rock and roll, up-tempo, ragged rendition--ROCKED the house and rocked my vote. MADONNA--PLEASE RE-RELEASE THIS SONG! Of course, I loved almost all the songs and I have to admit even the "gypsy/flamenco" rendition of La Isle Bonita was quite palatable....

...and that, in itself, says a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment