Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A House Divided 

Before I get to "A House Divided," I thought I'd quickly clarify--for the newbies-- some things about the Addiverse. Hint: The inability to understand the Addiverse may be a sign of your good mental health. Most people incorrectly surmise that anything goes in the Addiverse but this is not the case. I've heard the wife lament many a time, "Is NOTHING sacred?" In fact, there are several topics/people that are totally off limits in the Addiverse. Topics totally off limit: Current job (I am going to pretend I am unemployed-- that's how far away I want to stay away from that subject); Real Names of real contacts and real friends (only aliases shall be utilized); Activities of the carnal nature; Specific personal incidents that I actually recognize are not appropriate for publication (I really do have a filter, albeit a teeny, weeny one); subjects that will get me arrested/incarcerated/jailed. Everything else is fair game. 

On to the playoffs. As I am a life-long Cubs fan and as the wife is a life-long Milwaukee Brewers fan, we are a house divided. This makes for very interesting baseball play-off cheering/hoping/ talking/praying. Each of us recognizes that the other has the right to cheering for the team of their liking/choosing/birthright. Yet, each of us wants the other's team to lose. The wife will SAY she doesn't mind if the Cubs win, but I know she is either lying or placating me. I don't say much because I want the Cubs to win but I am too busy worrying about getting my hopes up that I don't spend much time saying anything aloud and I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the Brewers or any other team because I am too busy being consumed by the Cubs and not thinking about them. 

It was much easier when the Brewers were in the American League as that meant less direct competition. The Cubs and Brewers were not in the same division. They wouldn't have met until the World Series and until now, the chances of that happening were slim to none..... 

Now? Now they will end up playing each other if the winning streaks continue. That is something I am not looking forward to..... 

Thankfully, I am surrounded by Cub Fans. Cheeseball Neighbor & ChiSky Grrrl, Across-the- street neighbors, MJagger.....all Cubbies. I will be on my own once we cross the Cheddar border this weekend, tho--the wife's family (substantially bigger than mine) will crush me like a bug with their Brewer banter. 

I like to watch football on TV a lot more than I like to watch baseball on TV, but at times like these, I find myself drawn to the boob tube for baseball. I don't want to watch but I catch myself peeking at the screen. Tonight, the Cubs are on and I am going to distract myself with some Leslie Sansone walking.....I'll catch up with the Cubs in three miles or so. (Beauty of baseball is that it is slow--you can catch up as needed.) 

People are already buying tickets for the World Series. The wife's brother purchased tickets for when the Brewers are in the World Series. Tickets for the Cubs in the World Series are selling for $1600 each......this for tickets that DO NOT EXIST. 

I thought I was crazy paying oodles of money for Madonna tickets. 

But, at least those tickets really exist and the concert exists and the seat I purchased is mine to have and the concert will take place as indicated on the ticket. The World Series? Not so much. You buy a ticket and hope for the best. 

The Brewers lost today. The Cubs are playing right now. Me? I'm going to find Leslie Sansone. If that doesn't work, I'm going to find Jillian Michaels. And, if that doesn't work, I am going to dig out some Xena episodes. And, if that doesn't work, I'll go on Mugbook and look up Cloris Leachman. We live in a house divided. Pray for us. Pray for our teams. Batter up!

No comments:

Post a Comment