Friday, January 04, 2008

You Spin Me Round and Round

Part II--the original "You Spin Me Round" was written on January 21, 2006 and has nothing to do with this entry, but you really should go back and read it because it's one of my better stories. Link below in blue.



http://addiwp.blogspot.com/2006/01/you-spin-me-round-and-round-its-nice.html

And, before I forget: CHEESEBALLS! Here's a photo of the view out our door New Year's Day. What would a new year be without cheeseballs? Here we see Lucy inspecting the mystery cheeseballs, ever so slightly covered in snow, perched daintily on the stoop, waiting for the New Year to progress....





So, I'm STILL on the couch, only this time I am filled with medication from the doctor.
Note the photo of Lucy to the left. See how bad she looks in the photo? That's basically how I feel. Thus, a visit to the doctor. Nurse practitioner, actually. My cold has gone bad, leaving me in a spinning mess, worse than any 1982 drunken stupor. Upon my insistence, the wife has gone to the Cheddarland as scheduled to visit her siblings, while I remain on the couch with my two trusted canines and a rerun of "The Ghost Whisperer," which I am sure will be followed with "What Not to Wear." It's not Xena but it's something....actually, I WAS watching Xena episodes on my computer but for some reason, my computer kept throwing me "out" and I gave up, turning to Jennifer Love Hewitt & Stacy London instead of Lucy Lawless. Not any comparison, by the way.

I woke up at 2 am and realized that the room was moving. Hmmm, I don't remember falling asleep on a Tilt-a-Whirl. I couldn't sit up and I couldn't turn to the right when lying in bed. Weird. So, what to do but roll to the left and go back to sleep. When I woke up via a phone call from MJagger to do the newspaper crossword puzzle over the phone (don't ask), I realized the dizziness was still very much still there and I was NOT going to be getting out of bed in any hurry. (Let it be known that it is VERY hard to do a crossword puzzle over the phone when you are dizzy.) I crawled to the bathroom after securing some Sudafed and Dramamine. Why Dramamine? I dunno. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I remember hearing that Dramamine "works" on the inner ear...so, why not? It's not like it would hurt me and I'd be prepared if offered a ride on a cruise liner today.

By some gift of the gods, I was able to get an appointment with my nurse practitioner right then and there. As it didn't seem like a good idea to drive, the wife transported me to the office. I just saw this lady a few weeks ago for my cholesterol level and I was in no hurry to see her again, although I really don't mind going to the doctor except.....

....they weigh you. Sigh.

I am very sad to say that I weighed FIVE more pounds today than I did the last time I was at the doctor and that was only one month ago. Sweet mother of God!

I must admit I spent more time trying to not fall off the scale than I did bitching about the weight gain. I won't even try and describe what it was like to bend over and pick up my shoes after getting weighed.

Now, I didn't need a doctor to tell me what was wrong--my cold had gone "bad" and somehow my inner ear must now be befuckled and my sinuses are on their own mission. I didn't need anyone to tell me what I needed: Antivert. It's what they give you for Vertigo. I can figure out the rest--just get the room to stop spinning. I suppose an antibiotic might be nice as I'm thinking this is becoming and ear and sinus infection, but all I really want is for the room to stop spinning.

So, what do I get? A prescription for Antivert and an antibiotic. Should I be a doctor or what?

The wife graciously takes me to Walgreens to drop off the prescription and then drops me off at home. I plop myself on the couch and pray for divine intervention while she returns to the drug store to get the meds. I don't move until she returns, little pill bottles in hand.

God, I love the sound of pills shaking around in a pill bottle from the pharmacy.

I scoot over toward the frig to get a bottle of water (we're under a water ban so we can't drink our tap water), scoot to the kitchen table and Funny thing is, when I look at the generic name for Antivert and the generic name for Dramamine, I notice the names are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Another gold-shoulda-gone-to-med-school-star for me!

In case you are wondering, the room is still spinning but it's spinning on a much slower pace and on less of a tilt and I am all good with that.

Now, if I could only move on from being the poster child for "What Not to Wear." Can't blame the vertigo on that....

No comments:

Post a Comment