Friday, December 21, 2007

Stemware and the Holy Spirit

NEVER make fun of the Holy Spirit while washing a in-laws stemware....

I was at the wife's sister's house last Sunday....for a little informal dinner. Well, sis (another one of the religious folk in the wife's family) doesn't do anything simple--she had the works, from Mikasa Crystal stemware to napkins in those fancy holders. It was tasty and delicious....

One of my jobs is to wash the dishes. Actually, I volunteer, as I really don't mind and I'm always grateful that they fill me with food. Well, while washing the Mikasa Crystal Stemware (a discontinued type of glass, of course), I started talking about my niece and the whole Confirmation thing...if you don't remember, suffice it to say the wife and I had told my niece that when getting confirmed, the Holy Spirit SWOOPS down and sets your hair on fire unless you are wearing curlers--then your hair is saved...and, that the role of the Confirmation Sponsor was to quickly pat the fire out. (I know, I know, sacreligious.) I'm laughing as I say, "and the Holy Spirit SWOOPS down" when two of three crystal wine glasses sitting in the sink CRASH and shatter. I'm not kidding. I wasn't even touching them.

I was just sick. The shattering of the crystal was so loud that Sis' hubby came running to see what the hell just happened. I eke out that what had happened, adding the blurb about making fun of the Holy Spirit. He looks at me, with a very serious stare and says, "THAT'S why we don't make fun of the Holy Spirit in this house."

Gulp.

Suffice it to say I spent the reminder of my night searching the Internet for those discontinued glasses so I could replace them. I am here to tell you that those puppies are tough to find, especially when I didn't know what they were officially called. (That took a lot of searching. I think I got it right. It will really suck if I didn't.) Even replacement.com didn't have them. The Holy Spirit must have had pity, as I incredibly found two of them on eBay and actually won the auction. I won't talk about how much I paid but it was worth it so I can redeem my soul and relationship. I'm having them sent directly to her as a token of my penance.

So, no more taunting the Holy Spirit. And, maybe no more dishwashing.....

....hey, that just might work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment